Super Moderator
    Thanks

SBS 2003 Backup Strategy

We're getting ready to configure several SBS 2003 servers at different locations, and the issue of backup strategies has been raised. One camp is sure the only good solution is to put a tape drive on the server, and run one of the fairly sophisticated backup packages to manage the process. However I've seen a number of backups fail because of bad tapes, and tape capacity being exceeded, as well as a couple of restores that failed because a tape had gone bad.

We're considering an alternative strategy using 160 or 250GB USB hard drives as the primary backup medium, and then backing up critical files from there to DVD. The servers will be configured with RAID, so a simple hard-drive crash shouldn't be catastrophic. One question is the type of backup software that should be used in this situation. The basic SBS backup program could be used, but I was wondering about something like TrueImage or Ghost as an alternative. On some systems the backup image would be relatively small - say 20 to 40GB, but on the larger ones, it could easily exceed 100GB as they will be running a good-sized SQL Server database with backups, as well as user files and some image retention for about 8 users.

What sort of experience or opinions do others have in this area?
    Wendell

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: SBS 2003 Backup Strategy

Hi Wendell:
    I haven't had any experience with those servers, but perhaps the True Image Forum might have some information. The closest discussion that I could find there was this one.
    Cheers,

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

Re: SBS 2003 Backup Strategy

We've not deployed any Win2k3 (SBS 2003) yet. Just as a general rule-of-thumb if you can avoid tape backup do it. These are still nothing like the mainframe tape systems when it comes to reliability. Large capacity USB disk drives are becoming feasible economically. BTW, even though it is still BETA have you looked at Microsoft Data Protection Manager? Some interesting food for thought there. Not sure of the $$$ involved.

Joe
    Joe