3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How do I insert a footnote? (2002)

I'm the first to admit that my Excel skills are pretty basic, but I'm stymied in my attempts to insert an endnote or footnote in a worksheet. Help is of no use, it kept pointing me to how to insert a header/footer or troubleshoot a pivot table, until I broke it entirely. Now any attempts to invoke help return a generic error message, "Error starting MS Help."

Am I reduced to manually formatting footnote references and the notes themselves?
    Samantha

Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks!
    Robert A. Heinlein - Time Enough for Love

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: How do I insert a footnote? (2002)

Excel does not have endnotes or footnotes. If you can't use footnotes, then you will have to do it by manually inserting what you want in cells.
    Legare Coleman

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Footnotes and endnotes are Word concepts, not Excel concepts. As far as I know, Excel does not offer this feature.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the quick response Legare & Hans. I'd already come to that conclusion, and faked a couple of endnotes, but it's nice to have confirmation from those who know. Once I've finished this rush project, I'll take a moment to reboot. Hopefully, that will fix my Excel help file. If not, you may hear back from me.
    Samantha

Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks!
    Robert A. Heinlein - Time Enough for Love

3 Star Lounger
    Birmingham, West Midlands, United Kingdom
    Thanks

But Help will help with how to create a Style which you might want to call, 'footnote'. So if you wanted the hand-entered 'footnotes' to be arial narrow, 8pt, blue, left aligned, indent 2, that wouldn't be a problem.
    Best of luck.