5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Totals query (Access 2000)

I have made a totals query based on the following tables.

Employee table:
    [Employee #]
    [Name]
    [Max hours]

Job table:
    [Job #]
    [Employee #]
    [Task #]
    [Date]
    [Rate] = Standard/Overtime

Task table:
    [Task #]
    [Hours]

The query produces results like the following, using summed hour fields and a calculated Difference = Max - Standard - Overtime.

[Name] [Max Hours] [Standard Hours] [Overtime Hours] [Difference]
    Tom | 40 | 20 | 10 | 10 |
    Harry | 30 | 10 | 15 | 5 |

1. How can I make the query include all employees, even those with no records in the Job table, as follows?

[Name] [Max] [Standard] [Overtime] [Difference]
    Tom | 40 | 20 | 10 | 10 |
    Dick | 30 | - | - | 30 |
    Harry | 30 | 10 | 15 | 5 |

I tried left joining the Employee table to the Job table on the [Employee #] field and inner joining the Job table to the Task table on the [Task #] field, but this produced an "ambiguous join" error.

2. How can I add fields to show just the number of jobs of each type (Standard/Overtime)? I tried copying the summed fields and replacing Sum with Count, but the results weren't correct.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Totals query (Access 2000)

1. Left join Employee table to Job table on Employee #, and left join Job table to Task table on Task #.

2. Add calculated columns:

NumberOfStandard: Abs(Sum([Rate]="Standard"))

NumberOfOvertime: Abs(Sum([Rate]="Overtime"))

both with the Total option set to Expression.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

1. I had tried using two left joins on those fields, but the result omitted employees who had no records in the job table, whereas I need to list all employees, even those who have no records in the job table.

2. Thanks, however my example (which is a simplification of the actual application) may have been misleading here. The [Rate] field actually contains a value, such that Null = Standard, and Not-Null = Overtime. I tried modifying your suggestion as follows:

CountStandard: Abs(Sum(IsNull([Rate])))
    CountOvertime: Abs(Sum(Not IsNull([Rate])))

but the first field caused a parameter prompt for the field although if I left it blank it did list some values but they were incorrect, and the second field just listed all zeros.

3. FYI, the sum fields are as follows, using your suggestions from an earlier post.

SumStandard: -([Hours]*(IsNull([Rate])))
    SumOvertime: [Hours]

Although the total options for these fields are both set to Sum, sometimes the option on the first field changes by itself from Sum to Expression and the field changes to Sum(-([Hours]*(IsNull([Rate])))). Are these forms equivalent; i.e., is this just a glitch in Access?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

1 & 2. This is all becoming too complicated to help with without seeing the database, but you stated in another thread that you couldn't post a stripped down copy.
    3. This is normal behavior, Access stores the SQL statement for the query and there are different ways of displaying this in the query design window. These forms are equivalent.