3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

network MS Access (Access 2002)

I have a small network (4 computers) with a router links all the machines together. In machine A I have a shared folder with a MS Access file for multi-user access. However, once a while, other computers on the network can see the file icon but cannot access it. The message is always about write-protection and access denied. That Access program is not being used at that time in machine A. In fact when I try to copy the same file onto the shared folder in machine A from other computers, I have the same access denied message. If I go to machine A and delete the file, then other computers can copy the backup copy of that file onto the shared folder in machine A.

In the shared folder of machine A, I have already set it to allow other users on the network to have the right to overwrite all files in the folder.

Any suggestions?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: network MS Access (Access 2002)

Is this related to your question in <!post=this thread,499520>this thread<!/post>? Is the file in question a back end (data tables only), a front end (forms, reports, queries, etc.) or a combined database? Access can be used on a peer-to-peer network, but it isn't happy there. More details on the exact situation would help us give you more useful responses.
    Charlotte

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: network MS Access (Access 2002)

No, they belong to two separate issues.

In this case, I have the Access mdb file stored on a shared folder of machine A. Machine A has no problem whatsoever in accessing this file. Machine B can see the file and originally was able to open (via the network) this file and run my application. However, one day when I tried to use machine B to copy the file (from machine A via the network) onto my USB drive, Windows returned a msg saying that access was denied. I was able to see the file icon using machine B but somehow Windows just assumed that either the file is not there or I had no access to it.

I then went to machine A and deleted the file from the shared folder. I copied the backup file onto this shared folder and went back to machine B. Now everything works normally. I can run the application using machine B (accessing the file on A via the network).

This had happened a few times and I have absolutely no idea what is going on.

Any insight will be appreciated.

Thanks