New Lounger
    Thanks

Memory Install Problem (xppro sp2)

I am trying to add memory to my IBM Personal Computer 300PL , model 6565e6u, x86 based PC, processor is x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 3 GenuineIntel 728 Mhz. Bios version IBM PMKT16AUS, 2/24/2000. I have tried several new memory modules, 128Mb, 256Mb, for different total amounts. There are two slots and it is supposed to accept up to 1Gig of memory. It had two 64mb for total of 128mb originally. when I put any new combination of memory in, the computer will out of the blue reboot itself, maybe 5 minutes maybe and hour, different times, no rhyme or reason. Everything else seems to be working fine, no other problems. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Memory Install Problem (xppro sp2)

You need memory type : 168-Pin PC133 DIMM. (Your system comes standard with non-ECC SDRAM, but also supports ECC SDRAM. When mixing ECC and non-ECC modules, the system will not perform the ECC function.)

Make sure each memory stick you're trying to install is marked "133 MHz"

If you do not have such memory, visit websites as

http://www.4allmemory.com/index.cfm?pid=171&kwd=ibm memory
    http://www.memoryworld.net/HTML/memory_ser..._Exxmemory.html
    http://www.edgetechcorp.com/store/Products...300PL/6565_xxx/

and many other.

Good luck!

BTW, you suppose to post your question in HARDWARE forum. Next time please be careful.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you very much for the quick reply and good information. I will follow thru on your advice and hope it works out. Forgive me for not posting to the correct forum. I am new to this, just trying to learn.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

For future reference (if any!), I have found that the Crucial Memory Advisor Tool
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

OK, you make a good point, so for both yours and Ray's info, I'll move this thread to the Hardware board so possible future Lounge searchers will be able to find your links.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Many older motherboards require jumper settings for the memory amount. Check your manual and make sure you do not have to reconfigure a bank of dip switches to reflect your new memory amount.

I cannot find much info on that model, I hope you have the manual.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, for your reply and input, I do not have a manual on the system board. The tag inside the cover only talks about 2 dip switches and nothing about memory. I am thinking this may be a BIOS problem. Don't know if this is directly related to my memory problem or not but I am getting an error reported under Administrative tools, event viewer, system that states the following: AMLI: ACPI BIOS is attempting to read from an illegal IO port address (ox71), which lies in the 0x70 - 0x71 protected address range. this could lead to system instability. please contact your system vendor for technical assistance.The user action for this is to contact the system vendor for an updated BIOS. I have tried several different memory modules that should have worked. Next is to go out to Crucial and order the one they recommend. If that doesn't work I guess the BIOS is next. Does anyone know where I can get an updated BIOS or Manual for this IBM PC300PL Model 6565E6U machine? Thanks to everyone for their assistance.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I think Crucial is your best bet too. I also suggest Kingston - they make good stuff and have a decent wizard as well.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────