Star Lounger
    Thanks

Checking if a file is open (Word 2000 sp3)

I have a series of templates that create various documents, each document has macros that read and write information to a text file (Response.ini) using the 'PrivateProfileString' command. The templates are to be used on a small network and there is a possibility (although small) that two documents might try to use the 'Response.ini' file at the same time. I do not want the 'ini' file to get corrupted or a read/write operation to fail.

How do I test to see if the 'ini' file is being accessed by another document?

I have tried using a User Function that uses the Open statement and return true or false. If I have the 'ini' file open in Notepad the Function tells me that the ini file is not open.

Any pointers to solve my problem?

Thanks

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Checking if a file is open (Word 2000 sp3)

Hi Hans
    Thanks for the information. I will check my code with the ini file opened in Word.

Again thanks for the info and quick reply.

Regards

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Checking if a file is open (Word 2000 sp3)

Notepad doesn't lock a file it has open. I assume that PrivateProfieString does lock the ini file when you set a value (probably not when you read a value), so you might use the test with Open before setting a value. Or you might just take the risk of not checking - operations on ini files are extremely fast.