Thread: Media Reader?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Media Reader?

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by JJDetroit on 16-Jul-05 04:50. Corrected misspelling in Subject.)</P>I've been wanting for some time to install a multi-format media reader into my PC. Yesterday I was near a CompUSA and picked up a "house brand" 9-in-1 reader/writer, that fits in a 5.25-inch bay. When I started reading the installation instructions, I discovered that to use it, I have to remove a slot cover from the back of my PC, then run cables from the reader/writer out and plug them into 4 USB ports (all I have!), a Firewire port (all I have!), and the audio in/out ports on the sound card.

Is this typical of these kinds of devices? My motherboard has an available USB pin connector, and I thought a card reader could utilize that. If all these devices are going to wipe out my existing "back of PC" ports, I'm going to have to rethink this idea.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Media Reader?

Some time ago I got a 5-in-1 media card reader (you can see that it was "some time ago"!) which plugged into a USB port. It was just a rectangular box with slots for the various card types. I can't see why you would want a 5
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Thanks

I can see every reason for wanting to buy something that fitted into a 5

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

JohnGray,

>> Some time ago I got a 5-in-1 media card reader (you can see that it was "some time ago"!) which plugged into a USB port. It was just a rectangular box with slots for the various card types. I can't see why you would want a 5

Thanks

I don't know how 'typical' your experience is, but there are certainly readers available that may be more suitable, such as this Mitsumi unit.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Leif,

>> I don't know how 'typical' your experience is, but there are certainly readers available that may be more suitable, such as this Mitsumi unit. <<

I suppose I could pull my existing floppy drive and substitute a unit like that. Thanks for the reference. Now to see if I can get it in black [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

<hr> I have a reader like yours that I can't ever find when I need it<hr>
    I put mine on top of the system unit tower, with the USB cable coming from the back and loosely tied to the power supply cord which happens to be at the top. It would be perverse to try to cover the card reader with papers, because the system unit's long, flat side is next to the wall...

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Fry's has a 12 in 1 on sale this weekend for $4.99, it is a external only.

Some of the newer "Photo" printers have this same capabilities built in.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If your need is "only" one digital camera media type, I don't know why you would want to tie up all that resource AND put it in the box. Quite some time ago, I bought one of these in a local store. I don't know if they are still available but if not there must be others. It's not too much clutter for me and only requires ONE USB port.

SMARTDISK 6IN1USB USB FLASH MEMORY READER UNIVERSAL

Edited Much Later: After I saw John's post. Here's a shot of where I put mine, under the corner of my 19" monitor, next to my Palm cradle.
    Attached Images Attached Images

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Edited by Bigaldoc to correct URL code (extra HTTP).[/i] See the Quick Guide, or the 1-Click TagPanel, or even <!post=this StarPost.,438749>this StarPost.<!/post>

I've seen them like that. However, the ones that I have used needed only the one USB port for all of the card readers. not one for each.

You should be able to get one that uses internal cables without much problem. Here's one:

http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchd...rch=&child=

I would exchange it for one more of your liking.

On the other hand, if you happen to be planning getting a new printer anytime soon, you could just get a printer with the card reader installed. That's what I did, works out fine. Also, most new cases will have Firewire, USB and audio ports up front.