3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

ps2 port gone (Pro sp2)

This morning I installed security updates 887742 and 893086 (yes, I'm a little behind, but I'm catching up), and upon reboot, my optical mouse was non-functional and the light was not lit in the little receiver thingy. I turned off the computer via the keyboard, unplugged the unit from the ps2 port, plugged it into a usb port, and it works fine, so it has to be the ps2 port. I tried to troubleshoot the port but I can't find it in device manager or in BIOS. I'd like to continue troubleshooting without uninstalling the security updates but don't know how to continue. Any ideas? I searched the micrsoft KB and also this board but didn't find anything useful.

Fafner

Thanks

Re: ps2 port gone (Pro sp2)

The first step is to make sure that you have the latest software and drivers for your optical mouse. This may resolve the problem.

If this doesn't work, then test the PS2 port with a keyboard. If you have a USB to PS2 plug , you might try plugging the keyboard into the PS2 port (if your keyboard is currently connected via USB). If not, do you have an older keyboard with a PS2 connection? If the keyboard works while plugged into the PS2 port, the port is probably not the problem. If the keyboard will not work, then uninstall (one at a time) each of the updates and test again. If sill no luck, then the PS2 port is probably not working.

If however, the PS2 port is good, then I'm not sure what to suggest next.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: ps2 port gone (Pro sp2)

Thanks for your reply.
    It's working again. I plugged the keyboard into that port and the keyboard worked as it should. So I thought I'd try the mouse in that port again, and strangely enough it worked. When it wasn't working before, one of the things I checked was to make sure it was plugged in properly and securely, and that didn't help. This time it apparently did. Another one of those computer mysteries, maybe.
    Anyway, thanks for the help.

Fafner