Star Lounger
    Thanks

TOC formatting problem (Word 2002)

Hi,
    I am struggling with my TOC. The TOC is build from "Template" using the headings in my thesis. All the information is there and correctly shown. However, I am having a hard time controlling the format. Specifically, in TOC2 and TOC3 levels, I can't seem to bring the title close to the number. It's easier to explain by example:

Chapter 1................................................. ...2
    1.1 Introduction.....................2
    1.1.1 First thoughts..........2

I want to bring "Introduction" closer to 1.1 and "First Thoughts" closer to 1.1.1 but I can't seem to find the way to do it. I already fiddled around with the indending of 1.1 and 1.1.1 in TOC2 and TOC3 but all that does is move 1.1 and 1.1.1 back and forth irrespective of the text. What am I missing?

Thanks,
    Alex

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: TOC formatting problem (Word 2002)

Modify the TOC2 and TOC3 styles and add a left-aligned tab at the desired position, e.g. at 0.5" for TOC2 and 0.75" for TOC3.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: TOC formatting problem (Word 2002)

My TOC styles all have a hanging indent. My TOC 2 style is indented 0.38 (to indent the number), then I set a hanging indent of 0.43 and my tab at 0.81 (0.38 + 0.43). Something like this should take care of the problem.

Since I want my page number out by itself (if titles are long and wrap, sometimes they go all the way to the margin), I also do the following: Set my right tab at 6.5 inches (if my document is 6.5 inches wide) and give all my TOC styles a right indent of 0.35 inches. That way if titles have to wrap, they don't go all the way out to the page numbers.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

works but I lose tabbed

Thanks Hanz, that works but I am now doing battle with the tab leader. I got the one for TOC2 back briefly by adding another tab at 0.75 but when I tried to add one at 1.00 for TOC3 I lost both tab leaders. Now I can't get them back! THis is like navigating in the dark by feeling my way...
    -Alex

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Solved

Ok. I figured it out between Hanz and Nancy's answers. I just had to fiddle around with the right tab with a ... leader. Uff. Hard work.
    And thanks for anticipating my very next question, Nancy, as regards the thing bumping up to the page number! This forum is so good you guys answer the questions even before we understand the questions we'll have.
    Thanks so much!
    -Alex

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: works but I lose tabbed

I'm sorry, I don't see why adding a tab at 0.5" or 0.75" should interfere with the tab leader for the right-aligned tab for the page number.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: works but I lose tabbed

You can well imagine what happened. I didn't realize I was working on left vs right tabs (it's a little tricky if you're not paying attention). I think I almost have control of the situation now.
    --Alex