Star Lounger
    Hemel and/or Luton, UK, Hertfordshire, England
    Thanks

Outlook vs NT Security

Hello All,

Amongst my many shortcomings is a very low level of knowlege of NT Security/Permissions/File Ownership issues. I am administrator of an NT network that was working well until a couple of days ago. I was asked to move a large folder with hundreds of subfolders to a new drive and this I duly did. All seemed fine until users started trying to access their data. They were able to see and open files, but not re-save them, or create new files. After the 10th person in about 2 minutes told me this, I went back to my server and reset all the permissions for the whole affected structure. Now "Everyone" has "Full Control" access to all these folders and files. I thought I had solved my problem.

BUT now we have an Outlook problem that seems to be directly related to the above. When users try to save a message or attachment into / or insert an attachement from one of the folders mentioned, they get the dreaded "Out of Resources. Close one or more windows" message. This is on P3 machines with 128Mb RAM and little or nothing else (except Command Anti-Virus) running. The PC's are able to work with these files/folders/attachements etc perfectly via the C drive and Explorer, but it seems that Outlook is getting stuck. It must (as far as I can see) be realted to the permissions issue, becasue other network and local files are fine and outlook saves to / attaches from them without complaint.

Note that my users have this problem with their Win 95 or Win 98 machines running Outlook 98, but I don't. I run Win2K and OfficeXP (and have administrator permission) and all is fine!

I have searched this board for previous similar issues, and found references to KB artices with talk about re-installing IE5 or looking at Attachment Security settings, but neither of these did any good.

Thanks for wading through all that and any help you can offer.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook vs NT Security

When we had a similar problem we solved it by 1)renamining the frmcache.dat file (probably in windowslocal settingsapplication datamicrosoftforms); 2) Starting Outlook; 3) Running Detect and Repair to recreate the cache file.

I don't know exactly why this worked for us. I suspect entries in the cache are pointing to something in the original location that can't be found. The error trapping is too stupid to provide the correct message.

Good Luck!

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, but I am afraid that this did not help. I found two instances of frmcache.dat and renamed both. I then looked for a "Detect and Repair" option in Outlook 98 and could not find it, so I re-ran the Outlook setup program and re-installed, which re-created frmcache.dat, but the error remains.

Any other ideas out there?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

what exactly was in the folders you moved? you may need to remove and recreate the profiles.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

The folders (approx 300 of them, each with loads of subfolders) contained nothing more exciting than Office Dosuments and AutoCad drawings. I have attached a couple of pics to show part of the strucure and the permissions as they stand at the moment.

Thanks again.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can't seem to get these images to attach. So if you are interested, I have posted them on my website at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.grinnellfirekil.com/temp/problem.htm>http://www.grinnellfirekil.com/temp/problem.htm</A>. Sorry to be a pain.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

they contain nothing that outlook would need to access? profile files (fav etc)... program files... i really can't see why those folders would cause any problems for outlook, since it doesn't appear to be anything outlook is trying to access.

but just in case, create a new profile on one machine and see if it helps.