Thanks

More Auto Date Frustration (Excel 2000 9.0.3821 SR

(Edited by HansV to provide link to post and to make URL clickable - see <!help=19>Help 19<!/help>)

I took a look at <post#=383,479>post 383,479</post: > and the associated thread. The suggestion does not seem to work in Excel 2000.

I'm trying to copy and paste a table in a website. It contains ranges of numbers, e.g. 9-10, which Excel insists on converting to dates.

http://www.cyberlipid.org/glycer/glyc0062.htm#top

It seems to make no difference if I just copy and paste to the first cell or use the Import Wizard.

I've even taken the step of preformatting the cells in the columns I want to use. Excel ignores my formatting.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Baumgrenze
    Baumgrenze
    Hier sind wir tief eingewurzelt.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: More Auto Date Frustration (Excel 2000 9.0.3821 SR

Excel will keep trying to convert them to dates. If you don't object to a cosmetic change, try this: copy the table to Word. Replace all instances of '-' with '
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Thanks

Re: More Auto Date Frustration (Excel 2000 9.0.382

These comments apply to Word 2000 and Excel 2000

Here's the solution.

Select all cells in the spreadsheet and format them as 'Text.' This selection is very near the bottom of the Category list in the dropdown list in Format Cells.

Paste using Edit>Paste Special>Text

This works if table containing fractions is copied and pasted from a website table to Word and then the desired rows in the Word table are selected and pasted (Paste Special) into Excel.

Often it is the case that an extraneous bit of text which is above or below the table of interest must be selected and copied in the website display for a table to be the result of a simple Paste in Word.

I learned how to do this by downloading Open Office and playing with it. When I encountered the same 'fractions must be dates' problem, I posted to the 'calc' forum at Open Office and the suggested solution it worked like a charm, both in calc and in Excel 2000. I thought I'd share what I learned on the chance someone was directed here by a search.

I think I'm going to like Open Office. Has any consideration been given to creating a folder under Microsoft Office etc. for the Open Office product?

Thanks
    Baumgrenze
    Hier sind wir tief eingewurzelt.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: More Auto Date Frustration (Excel 2000 9.0.382

Thanks.

At the moment, we get only a small number of posts involving Open Office, so it doesn't merit a forum of its own. If the number increases, that might change.