Thread: System restore

Star Lounger
    Thanks

System restore

I'm not sure where to post this question, but this looked like a good place.

I have a computer built specifically for doctors to phone in dictation on (Windows 2000). The computer is not used for anything else.

While trying to network my laptop computer, I inadvertantly deleted a networked drive that I THOUGHT was not being used. In the process, I deleted some of my folders for the specialty software, which means the doctors cannot phone in their dictation until things are fixed. I have tried contacting the company who built the computer, but they are on EST and are closed for the day, with no 24/7 technical support. I have also tried phoning another local computer guy in my area, but he is not returning his calls since it is after hours.

I have a Symantec Norton Ghost 2003 restore disk that the company provided, but I am afraid to use it because there are so many options. I really do not want to make things worse and am hoping someone can direct me on how to use the restore disk.

When running the restore disk, I have a few different options:

Local --> Disc --> (To Disc, To Image, From Image)
    Partition --> (To Partition , To Image, From Image)

OPTIONS
    Spanning
    Auto Name
    Compatible Naming
    CRC Ignore
    Create CRC32

I THINK that the restore process would be done by using Local --> From Image, but I am not sure. I would appreciate any help or advice on getting the system back up and running, as I really need it for my business (doctors tend to get a little cranky when they can't finish their work). If you are not sure about something, please let me know when you post a suggestion for me to try. I would rather wait until technical support is open tomorrow than make things worse. If you are completely comfortable and familiar with how this software operates, then PLEASE let me know.

Thank you (if I should move this post to a more appropriate forum, please let me know.)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: System restore

I probably shouldn't respond to your post since I don't use Ghost, but I just wanted to make sure you're aware of something. First, the subject line of the post prompts me to make sure you know that there is not a "system restore" function in the operating system as there is in WinME and WinXP. I think you know that based on the text of the post, but I just wanted to be sure.
    <hr>...I THINK that the restore process would be done by using Local --> From Image, but I am not sure.. <hr>
    The primary consideration is: has an IMAGE been created of the drive, recently enough that it will have everything that's needed to put the system back the way it was? (that includes not only OS files, but any DATA that you can't afford to lose!)

If so, starting Ghost "should" have a menu system that will let you navigate to WHERE the backup image is located so you can choose it as the source of the backup. Hopefully then one of the succeeding steps in the process would be to select the destination drive or partition where you want the restoration to go. All of my comments are meant only as an outline, not a tutorial on Ghost for the reason stated above.

Besides which, it is NOW "tomorrow" and you're probably already in touch with your support folks.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: System restore

I ended up using the system restore CD, but only got as far as updating to Windows 2000. Since the company never gave me the license number for updating the software, I am STUCK and cannot move forward. I have contacted the technical folks numerous times, but they have not helped me at all yet. Most importantly; no, I was not aware that there was system restore for the Windows 2000 version. I tried looking for system restore before using the Ghost CD, but only found where you could back the system up. My main computer's operating system is XP, and I was told not to add/remove anything from the dictation computer, so I never became comfortable or familiar with the Windows 2000 version. The system restore may be very helpful if I can get a license number to get beyond upgrading to 2000. Thank you for your response. I have exactly 40 minutes to get this system back up and running or I am going to have to start phoning a lot of doctors/clinics to give them some bad news. :-)

I just noticed that you had said there was NOT a system restore function in Windows 2000. Sorry, only two hours of sleep and I missed the one word, which makes a big difference.