Thanks

Dratted New Shortcuts (WinXP-Pro)

I don't know when MS started using that "new" type of shortcut -- you now, the kind that has no detail for the "target" or "Start In" -- I just kinda went along and dealt with it...

But isn't there some way to turn back the clock to the "old way" of having and making shortcuts?

Any ideas from the reaches out there?

Regards,
    Chuck
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Dratted New Shortcuts (WinXP-Pro)

You can create and use shortcuts exactly the same way as in previous versions of Windows. There are several ways to create a shortcut:

- Right-click an empty part of the desktop, or of the right-hand pane of Windows Explorer.
    - Select New | Shortcut from the popup menu.
    - Follow the instructions.

or

- Drag a file or folder with the right mouse button.
    - When you release the right mouse button, select Create Shortcuts Here from the popup menu.

Thanks

Hans:

I know that if I track down each program, like winword.exe for instance, I can then set up a shortcut -- drag and drop or whatever.

But the ones being generated on install of several programs and not always that easy, since they don't even show what the actual exe in fact is.

MS Word is a great example -- winword.exe shows up nowhere, nor it's path, in the shortcut MS sets up on the Office install.

Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Microsoft provides special shortcuts for its Office programs. Your question was "But isn't there some way to turn back the clock to the "old way" of having and making shortcuts?" and that's what I answered - yes, you can make and use shortcuts the old way.

If your question is "Can we get Microsoft to stop providing these special shortcuts", my reply is "Good luck".

Thanks

Hans:

>>"Can we get Microsoft to stop providing these special shortcuts", my reply is "Good luck".

And I suppose there's no way to really tell what the path or origin of any/each "special" shortcut is, is there?

What the heck is supposed to be the advantage of the blamed things anyway?

Chuck

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I assume that these shortcuts work even if Office has been installed in a non-standard folder; they probably retrieve the exact location of their target from the registry, and that's why you can't view the target.

But if you don't like them, nobody forces you to use them. You can create and use "normal" shortcuts to Winword.exe, Excel.exe etcetera.

Thanks

Hans:

Working backwards:

>>
    But if you don't like them, nobody forces you to use them. You can create and use "normal" shortcuts to Winword.exe, Excel.exe etcetera.
    <<

I do. It just irks me to have to do so. And, as mentioned, it's not always THAT easy to figure what the target is.

>>
    I assume that these shortcuts work even if Office has been installed in a non-standard folder; they probably retrieve the exact location of their target from the registry, and that's why you can't view the target.
    <<

That's curing something I've never come across, I guess. If I drop a shortcut from a program, I can, as you know of course, put the little thing anywhere, and it'll work just fine, regardless of where the target is. This of course, is on the assumption that related files are relative and in proper correlation. But that's true of any Windows app as well.

I guess Microsoft has once again just shown me how much smarter than me they are.

It's always good to have someone to look up to, you know.

Oh well...

Thanks for the help, though Hans.

Regards,
    Chuck