Results 1 to 2 of 2
2005-07-19, 11:37 #1
- Join Date
- Aug 2002
- Leuven, Vlaanderen, Belgium
- Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Word won't print at other pc (Access/Word 97)
Valuable members of this board,
I use Access VBA automation for printing a few thousands of Word documents.
You find the database attached + a separate txt-file with the procedure (module - procedure FindReplace)): I've put '=========== lines before & after the code lines in question.
This worked great on my pc untill I got a 'blue screen' several times... Having no time to figure out why, I "quickly"' turned to a collegue's pc, installed the necessary driver, moved the Access database over there, repaired & compacted, checked the VBA references.
Problem: the procedure runs without an error but the Word print command doesn't execute while the Word instance (invisible) doesn't close, so remains open.
What may have gone wrong?
2005-07-19, 12:07 #2
- Join Date
- Mar 2002
- Thanked 28 Times in 28 Posts
Re: Word won't print at other pc (Access/Word 97)
The procedure has several problems:
- You set "On Error Resume Next" at the beginning; this is needed to avoid problems if Word is not running, but you should set "On Error GoTo 0" or even better "On Error GoTo ErrorHandler" where ErrorHandler is a label after setting appWord. The way it is now, you'll never be warned if an error occurs.
- You repeatedly use GetObject / New Word.Application within the loop. You already set appWord before the loop, so there is no need to do it within the loop.
- You also shouldn't set appWord to Nothing within the loop, but afterwards.
- You should quit Word at the end if you started it at the beginning:
Dim blnStartWord As Boolean
Set appWord = GetObject(, "Word.Application")
If Err = 429 Then
Set appWord = New Word.Application
blnStartWord = True
On Error Goto 0
At the end:
If blnStartWord = True Then
Set appWord = Nothing