4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

IDE to USB Drive Connection error

All,
    I have a need where I am attaching a IDE drive via an adaptor I recently purchased. basically the connections work as follows:

USB cord with and IDE connector
    Power supply to power drive

upon inserting the USB with the drive connected, it indicates NEW HARDWARE detected. Then goes through the initial setup. With the provided CD, the program will attempt to load the drivers to read the IDE drive.

At this point I get a failure. Attached is an image of the error.

Any Ideas?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

Re: IDE to USB Drive Connection error

From another source, here is the description of function drivers:
    Drivers for devices attached to the USB are termed function drivers, because they control a USB functional device. USB is a protocol-based bus, and a Windows component called a bus driver
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

While you're looking to see if Bob's idea is a solution, may I make a suggestion? You could save yourself some zipping work and Loungers the work of downloading just to see a graphic. Most graphics (JPG, GIF, PNG) can be attached directly to a post without the need for zipping 'em up. See attachment.

See the attachment tutorial here..
    Attached Images Attached Images

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

All,
    Thanks! I finally got the drivers to load correctly, and then the trick(at least for now) is to have the drive powered up, selected as Master, then connect the USB.

thanks,
    Brad

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

>Thanks! I finally got the drivers to load correctly,
    How did you get them to load correctly?
    I'm having a similar problem. Purchased a no-name cable (in box with CD) last weekend.
    It refuses to install.
    The wizard comes up with a few drivers from the CD, none of which work.
    If I browse (manually) the CD to the appropriate path, "D:USB to IDE Adapter Cable 2.0driverFor windowsWINXPUSBPORT.INF", I get "The specified location does not contain information about your hardware"

Thanks

The USB Mass Storage Device shown in Device Manager should point to a native MS file in %C%WindowsSystem32DriversUSBSTOR.SYS. You may have to retrieve it from the XP CD as it may not have been installed initially.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Bob, thanks for the reply.

"should point" confuses me.
    I have a USB2IDE on the old IBM server; installed it last September, but can't remember how.
    I took a look at the IBM and saw that it referenced a file USBSTOR.SYS, so I checked that I do indeed have that on my Big Beige Box in ..System32Drivers.
    I'm not sure how to make Windows "point" to it.
    Just now I reran the re-install drivers wizard, pointing variously to USBSTOR.SYS, GenUide.inf, and another file, before the Wizard died trying to install USBMONIT.exe (if I got that right).

In desperation, or close to it, I tried installing from the mini-CD that I used to install on the Big Beige Box last Septmber; tried all three sources, and failed.

I'm now wondering is (sigh!) a re-install of WinXP might do the trick.
    • File Type: jpg 6.JPG (16.1 KB, 0 views)

Thanks

If you look at the USB Mass Storage Properties> Device Details it should mention USBSTOR.SYS as in the screenshot.
    BOB

Today it is called golf!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

>If you look at the USB Mass Storage Properties> Device Details it should mention USBSTOR.SYS as in the screenshot.
    Thanks, Bob, but you are way ahead of me. I think I'd see that *if* I were able to install the darn thing.
    I've tried with every option offered for installation - with and without the CD, locating the various files under C:Windows when asked. There seems to be no way to install the darn thing.
    I don't want to waste your time; I feel that there is something wrong, and that perhaps a reinstall of WinXP might be the best bet, with the USB2IDE plugged in at time of install.
    FWIW this is what I see when I choose DriverDetails; I'm not surprised that there are no details.
    • File Type: jpg 1.JPG (50.4 KB, 0 views)

Thanks

I was getting that exact "error" indication when I FIRST tried to install the IDE drive via USB. It didn't load drivers, etc. It turned out to be the POWER Supply to the external drive was NOT supplying ANY power!
    I solved that by wiring up my own power extension cable to plug in from the interior power plug to the IDE drive. Once proper power was in place, the unit was recognised, USBSTOR.SYS was loaded and away it went. Works fine since that.

I don't know if you can wire up a cable for it but can you or someone with a volt meter check for proper ( 5 & 12 volts ) being applied to the drive?
    BOB

Today it is called golf!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

>the POWER Supply to the external drive was NOT supplying ANY power!
    Thanks Bob.
    I thought that I was getting power through the little black brick, hearing the drive spin up.
    I'll try again at lunchtime with a cable from the computer's own power supply; there's a few of them dangling out of the chassis.