Star Lounger
    Thanks

Access filters (Office 2003)

What is the method to exclude records from a filter. In other words, to select all of a certain type of records I click on a field and hit the filter button, if I want to click on a blank field and say 'exclude these records' how do I do that. Simple I know, but can't remember, and help doesn't seem to understand me. Thanks. Lana

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access filters (Office 2003)

Access has a "Filter excluding selection" option in the Records | Filter submenu; this option is also available in the right-click menu of fields in a table/query and of controls on a form.
    So if you want all records for which a certain field is not blank, click in this field in a record where it is blank, then select Records | Filter | Filter excluding selection.
    If you want to select all last named that do not start with "R", click in a record where the last name starts with "R", select the "R", then select Records | Filter | Filter excluding selection.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access filters (Office 2003)

Thanks, Hans. I don't know why I don't start with this Lounge and forget the 'help.' I haven't gone wrong here yet - thanks a million. Lana