Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Stubborn Read Only (WXP Home SP1)

Trying to install a program that seemingly must first install the "installShield Engine (iKernel.exe), and I get a message saying it can't be installed. I checked, and it is trying to install it in Crogram filesCommonInstall Shield. However all the files are marked Read Only, and when I try to uncheck the Read Only condition it pops right back. Surely there must be an option somewhere that allows me to create a folder in Common.

Any suggestions?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: Stubborn Read Only (WXP Home SP1)

The read only attribute on a folder is used for a different purpose than on a file. All folders in XP have the read only attribute set. Search the lounge for prior discussions about this.

Joe
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

OK. I understand that Read Only is set for folders. If that's not the problem, then what do I do to get "permission" to intall the "Install Shield" program?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Can you get more information other than 'can't be installed' such as a detailed log? What is the program? Is the User trying to install the program an administrator?

Joe
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I'm trying to install a wireless utility program -- one that reports the status of a wireless network interface card.

The messate is something lilke "Cannot install the installShield Engine (iKernel.exe)," which, I assume, is a module that must be installed before the program will install. It is trying to install it in Crogram filesCommonInstall Shield. The message indicates that I don't have the proper permissions. However, I'm logged in as the system Administrator. At that point I'm at a dead end. I've installed the same program on several other computers and didn't run into this problem with any of them.

Thanks

You may find some help here at InstallShield Consumer Central, such as IKernel.exe Could Not Be Installed.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Lief, thanks for the suggestion, but I finally got tired of the whole thing and reinstalled XP. That cleared up the problem.