2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Prioritizing Task Lists (Outlook 2003/sp1)

I have a long list of tasks, some short-term and others long-term. I use the simple list view, which seems the easiest to track.

Right now, Outlook insists on determining the order in which they're presented. I've tried to work around that by inserting a number before each task so that, for example, the number 1s will appear at the top. But it still doesn't quite work that way. The tasks are still being alphabetized and ordered with another approach as well.

Can anyone tell me how I can set which task gets to be at the top of the list and the order in which all the others follow?

Thanks.

Neal

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Prioritizing Task Lists (Outlook 2003/sp1)

Which task View are you using? How are you defining what should appear at the top? The dedicated Task View can be sorted by clicking on the desired sort field; you can add fields to the view by right clicking the Task Title bar and using the field chooser.

Not sure how sortable the Task thumbnail is on teh Calendar View, but I think it works the same way.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

<<Which task View are you using?>>

Simple list.

<<How are you defining what should appear at the top?>>

I'm not sure what you mean. How does one define that sort of thing?

<<The dedicated Task View can be sorted by clicking on the desired sort field; you can add fields to the view by right clicking the Task Title bar and using the field chooser.>>

Okay. But the way I'd like to sort the items doesn't seem to be available. For example, I'd like to have a list of phone calls that need to be made on a certain day, followed by a list of tasks to do on that day. Even though I assign them the same start date, due date and priority, Outlook still decides how to sort them.

<<Not sure how sortable the Task thumbnail is on teh Calendar View, but I think it works the same way.>>

It might. I've never used it that way.

Thanks.

Neal

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Neal, I think

>>I'd like to have a list of phone calls that need to be made on a certain day, followed by a list of tasks to do on that day

answers

>>How are you defining what should appear at the top?

I'd recommend that you use Categories for this - there's already a 'Phone Call' Category, and you can create other custom categories like "Customer Installation Status Review", etc. Add the Category field to the View Window, and sort on Category.

HTH
    UTC -7ąDS

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

<<I'd recommend that you use Categories for this - there's already a 'Phone Call' Category, and you can create other custom categories like "Customer Installation Status Review", etc. Add the Category field to the View Window, and sort on Category.>>

I just tried that and it puts the phone calls at the bottom of the list.

All I'm looking to do is to list the 8-10 things (phone calls and tasks) that need to get done on a specific day and be able to pick the order that they appear. In the "old days," when things were simpler, I used to do it on a single page in Word, but that lacked the calendar link.

If one can't use the existing technology to do simple things easily, what's the point?

Thanks.

Neal

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Have you tried sorting by Due Date as secondary and then Category as primary?
    UTC -7ąDS

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

<<Have you tried sorting by Due Date as secondary and then Category as primary?>>

It doesn't seem to want to do that. I keep getting an error message saying it won't/can't sort by category.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

My mistake, see if right-clicking the Categories field header and selecting 'Group By Box" is more useful.
    UTC -7ąDS