3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Log on Locally, 2000 AD

OK,

Here's a problem that I have been researching for weeks (literally)!

We have a 2000 AD domain at work and we want to have ordinary users log onto member servers as protected remote desktops.

The domain configuration is as follows:
    * 2 x DC configured additionally as DNS forwarders
    * 1 x TS license servers (no licences installed because all clients are 2000 pro and carry all necessary licenses)
    * 1 x print/file server
    * 1 x SQL server (for Citrix)
    * Several member servers.

There are (or should be) 3 domain administrators, myself and 2 others and outside of those there will be three classes of user:

* Those with local server only administrator privileges (various application and server/service owner/support groups)
    * Clients who are ordinary users (supported by aforementioned support groups) and have access to a limited desktop.
    * Anonymous clients using Citrix published applications

The problem is that no matter what I do I cannot log on to any server using anything less than a domain administrator (and that includes not being able to log on using local administrators). The following things I know:
    * This is not a TS only thing as it applies to direct console logons and remote control software such as Dameware ... I therefore assume this is a rights issue and not licensing.
    * We do not have this issue in our NT 4 domain therefore I assume this is a uniquely AD oriented issue.
    * If I log on to a Windows 2003 member server (though we intend to migrate it to 2003, it is currently a 2000 domain) I have no issues ... I therefore assume this is a pure Windows 2000 oriented issue. It was not necessary on this server to set the "log on locally" right on the server itself.
    * I am not exceeding the limit of remote admin sessions.

The solutions I have tried so far are (from memory):
    * I have created users on local member servers, added them to the local server administrator group and then attempted to logon, I get the message,

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Log on Locally, 2000 AD

No one has any advice?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Log on Locally, 2000 AD

You seem to have tried everything I would have suggested already!

StuartR