Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Firefox/Thunderbird bug fix (1.06)

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by TonyE on 20-Jul-05 10:04. Typos fixed (thanks Leif))</P>After the problems with version 1.05 and some extensions, version 1.06 has been released for both products.

Firefox 1.0.6 plus the international versions, nearly all versions released simultaneously.

Thunderbird 1.0.6 plus the international versions when they become available.

The Mozilla Application Suite will be updated to version 1.7.10 very soon, it is currently undergoing final testing.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Firefox/Thunderbird bug fix (1.06)

Thanks, Tony.

I note that Brian Livingston suggests the following update procedure in his latest newsletter:

"Having tested every version of Firefox through 1.0.6, here's the upgrade procedure I recommend:<UL><LI>Step 1. Read Firefox's list of known issues.<LI>Step 2. Download the Firefox 1.0.6 setup executable file from the Mozilla download page into a temporary folder.<LI>Step 3. Close all windows.<LI>Step 4. Use the Add/Remove Programs control panel to uninstall previous versions of Firefox 1.0.x. Uninstalling previous versions does not erase your Firefox bookmarks, history, or preferences. (Alternately, you could install Firefox 1.0.6 to a new folder, but this would leave the old versions on your hard disk.)<LI>Step 5. Run the Firefox 1.0.6 setup executable.<LI>Step 6. After the install, some older Firefox extensions may need updating. Check for updates at the Firefox extensions page.[/list]"

My three extensions, Googlebar, Popup ALT Attribute and Bookmark Backup, didn't require any updates.

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, John, for reiterating what Brian Livingston said. I'd just read Brian's email that suggested removing Firefox 1.05 before installing 1.06, and saved myself a few potential headaches. Version 1.06 seems to be running smoothly. BTW, what is this Bookmark Backup extension that you mentioned? I can't find it listed in the list of extensions on the Firefox site. Is it a Mozilla extension that happens to work in Firefox, or does it go by another name?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Pike's Mozilla Firefox Extensions - Bookmark Backup is a very useful extension. In spite of the name it also backs up may other settings in your profile.

It does no harm in uninstalling an older version of Firefox first, but since since Firefox 1.0.3 it is not likely to make any difference since the installation procedure has been made more robust. Most problems with Firefox are caused by corrupt profiles and uninstalling Firefox first will have no impact on that. Corrupt profiles are usually caused by extensions.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

When I lost my hard disk Raid-1 array's boot sector a few months ago, I had backed up everything (well, almost everything!) except my bookmarks. It took me a couple of weeks to recreate them from scratch, which was a tedious process since I have about 170 of them...

Now the Bookmark Backup extension automatically saves seven daily copies (Monday, Tuesday, ...) of the bookmarks plus all other Firefox configuration-type information...

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Mozilla Application Suite 1.7.10

To complete this round of updates, Mozilla Application Suite 1.7.10 has now been released.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you both for mentioning the Bookmark Backup extension... What a find!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I've developed the habit of just deleting/renaming the Program FilesMozilla Firefox directory.
    Using the custom install, directory is automatically recreated.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mozilla Application Suite 1.7.11

Users of the Mozilla Suite may want to update to Mozilla Suite 1.7.11 - it fixes a couple of regressions introduced in 1.7.10