3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Rounding off to the nearest Tenth (Excel 2002)

Hello everyone:

Can anyone advise me on how I can round a column of to the nearest tenth.

P r i c e G s t P s t T o t a l
    $359.40 $25.16 $28.75 $53.91

I have posted a sample, I am trying to take receipts, and enter them into an expense sheet for myself, however, I am sometimes off by a penny.

Thanks

dillon

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Rounding off to the nearest Tenth (Excel 2002)

Do you want to round off the display only, or the underlying value?

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi Dillon,

Your discrepancy is likely caused by the use of a formula to calculate some of the values. Here's a couple of ways to fix the problem, depending on what you're trying to do:
    . if you use Tools|OptionsCalculation and check the 'Precision as displayed' option, Excel will ignore the hidden portion of any displayed value. For example, insert =1/3 in cell A1 and copy down three rows. Next put the formula =SUM(A1:A3) in cell A4. Normally, this will give the result as '1'. Now, format the 1/3 results to show as '0.333', then check the 'Precision as displayed' option. You'll get a warning but, once you understand the effect, as I'll explain, you can ignore it. Now you'll see the result displayed as '0.999'. Reformat one '0.333' to '0.33' and you'll get '0.996'. If you uncheck the 'Precision as displayed' option, you'll get the original result back.
    . wrap a 'ROUND' function around your formulae. For example, say you've got a formula like =A2*.07 to calculate the GST. Use =ROUND(A2*.07,2) instead to get a result that is explicity rounded to two decimal places. Likewise if you've got =A2*.08 to calculate the PST (ie Use =ROUND(A2*.08,2)). You can also round up and down. See Excel's help file for more info.

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hello Hans, macropod:

Hans all I wanted to do was get the final amount which I see on the receipts, after taxes.

Macropod, I do believe that you have missed your calling, if you are not a teacher, you should be. Your explanation is absolutely brilliant.

Thank you so very very much.

dillon