New Lounger
    Thanks

Can't copy Outlook folders (2003/)

I am trying to export my calendar and a contacts subfolder from my desktop to import onto my laptop. The main folder of the contacts worked, but when I try to do the contacts subfolder, I keep getting messages such as file name not valid (I'm calling them contacts, or Newsroom) and when I try to save as an excel file and copy to a CD or DVD, I keep getting the message that the disk is write protected (is this possible w/ a CD?) and it won't let me even drag to the CD icon. Calendar does the same thing.

How can I get my contacts subfolder and calendar from desktop to laptop? Same MS Office version, on both systems from same CD, bought and paid for so it's no bogus bootleg copy, the real deal.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Can't copy Outlook folders (2003/)

What file type are you exporting these files to?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

Re: Can't copy Outlook folders (2003/)

One way is to create a small, temporary PST (personal folders files). Use File>New>Outlook Data File, and create an empty PST. Then copy your contacts subfolder into there. Then close it so that your desktop copy of Outlook let's go (in the Folder List - Navigation Pane>Folder List button), right-click and choose Close for the new PST. Then burn that to your CD. When you copy it to your laptop, you might need to manually go to Windows Explorer, properties for that file, and clear the Read Only attribute. From the laptop copy of Outlook, use File>Open>Outlook Data File and attach to the temporary PST. Now you can drag and drop.

I realize that description is a bit rushed, but hopefully as you work through it will make sense.