Star Lounger
    Thanks

Where's my result? (2003)

So, this is weird... We have quite an established spreadsheet that's been used for years. All formulas in the past have worked just fine, even when copying and pasting them. However, now, even the simplest formulas (even something like =C71 or =SUM(C68:C70)) produces 0 for its result. I've never seen this before. I've tried clearing formatting and then recreating a simple formula (in all different places in the spreadsheet) and, still, we get 0. Yet, when I select the numbers I'm trying to add together and look at the QuickSum in the lower-right, that result is correct. Help! Any ideas? Is it an option I'm overlooking?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Where's my result? (2003)

Sounds like calc is on manual. Tools, options, calculation tab.
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Oh, darn! I was hoping it was that, but my Calculation option is set to Automatic. Any other ideas?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Could you clear out any confidential data and upload a minimum workbook that shows the problem?
    Legare Coleman

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you all for your suggestions. Unfortunately, I cannot even clear out enough information to make it non-confidential (it's someone's estate plan) so that I can send a sample. However, I do think I may have found the problem. Somewhere in the worksheet is a circular reference. As soon as I turn on the Iteration feature (Tools - Options - Calculation), the circular reference is fixed and I can then create formulas (that work!). However, once I 'solve' the circular reference, a lot of my numbers change in the spreadsheet. So, now, I have to follow large formulas to make sure I have the correct numbers. Arrrgghh!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I can recreate the result (not that I really want to...) or something very similar if I set the number format to "0" (including the quotation marks). This forces excel to return the string 0 instead of the numeric result of a formula or input value. Perhaps someone made a mistake in reformating the "normal" style. Change to a different style, or check the normal format: if that's the problem, change the format definition.