4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Merge and Distribution Lists

In Outlook 2000 using Exchange:

A user new to Outlook set up a whole bunch of Distribution Lists, not realizing that they could not be used for Mail Merge to Word.

Is there a work-around for this?
    egghead

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Merge and Distribution Lists

I know this isn't the greatest solution, but it might work (depending on the number of Distribution Lists).

Put each distribution list into its own subfolder in Outlook (make sure the folder is shown as an e-mail address book). From the Mail Merge wizard, choose Use Address Book under the Data Source option, and make sure you only choose the folder that has the Distribution List in it. When you run the merge, it should only import the people in that folder-which is the entire distribution list.

I hope this works!

Becky

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This is a good idea and works if the Mail Merge is started from Word.

It doesn't work if the merge is started from Outlook.

I will definately suggest this work-around! Thanks for the input!
    egghead

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This question is merely for curiosity's sake. What info are you pulling from the distribution list? To my (limited) knowledge, the only info that you can put in a contact added via the distribution list (and is not already an existing contact) is the name and email address.

Unless the user is sending an email/document to all those people in the distribution list...then all they would need is the email address and a name.

Like I said, this is just to satisfy my own curiosity, but it may be useful to someone else, too (you never know).

I'm definitely glad that worked for you, though.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The Distribution Lists are made up of people who are also in Contacts. Basically, we don't want to set them up again, using categories or something, so they can be filtered(since they have already been filtered, in a way, using the Distribution List).

Since they are in Contacts as well as the Distribution List, all of their information is available for a mail merge, as long we use your subfolder suggestion and start from Word.

Thanks again!
    egghead

Richard123

You could try a cool Outlook addin called Aladdins - Word Documents. It adds heaps of functionality to OL.
    Find it at: http://www.software-solutions.co.nz/
    It costs $20 after a 30 day trial but makes composing any documents using OL contact data a breeze.

ED: It should be pointed out that The author of the message is also the author of the software.
    I know this is not a work around(free) but Aladdins does a merge in 2 mouse clicks!