Thanks

Manual Duplexing (2003)

I occasionally print two-sided documents using manual duplexing on my HP LaserJet 1300. (Manual duplexing is when you print the odd pages on one side of the sheet, then flip the pile of sheets and print the even pages on the other side.)

I've worked out how to do it, but it seems there might be some way to automate things.

Word's Print dialog box includes a check box for Manual Duplex, and its Options sub-dialog box has checkboxes for Front of Sheet and Back of Sheet. These things are poorly explained in the Help files, but I'm hoping they can somehow help me to automate my process, which consists of:

1) Print the odd pages in normal print order, then flip the stack and
    2) Print the even pages in Reverse Print Order, then
    3) Hopefully remember to clear the Reverse Print Order checkbox to ready things for the next print job.

It's easy to make a mistake at any of these points, resulting in a botched print job. Maybe the aforementioned check boxes hold the key to minimizing these errers. Does anybody know any more about them?
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Manual Duplexing (2003)

If you tick the Manual Duplexing check box in the Print dialog, Word will take care of it for you:
    - It will print the odd pages first
    - It will prompt you to put the printed pages back in the paper tray (flipped), and wait until you click OK.
    - It will then print the even pages.

Thanks

The Manual Duplexing box is worse than nothing in my case. The even pages must be printed in reverse order, and Word doesn't give me a chance to make this setting before it prints them.

If I print a four-page document using the Manual Duplexing box, my finished document has page 4 on the reverse side of page 1, and page 2 on the reverse side of page 3. One would think that Word could figure this out for the case of my printer, then make the appropriate adjustment.

I could, of course, manually reverse the order of the stack before flipping it, but that invites more errors than I even care to think about.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't understand that. When I use manual duplexing, I only have to flip the stack as a whole after the odd pages have been printed, not reverse the order. It will then print page 2 on the back of page 1 etc.

Check the Print tab of Tools | Options... (or click Options... from the Print dialog), and make sure that the check boxes in the 'Options for Duplex Printing' section are cleared.

Thanks

Both boxes have always been cleared for me. The instructions for these boxes are confusing:
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Options for Duplex Printing

Front of the sheet Sets the order of pages on the front of each sheet. Select this option to print page 1 on the bottom of each sheet. Clear this option to print page 1 on the top.

Back of the sheet Sets the order of pages on the back of each sheet. Select this option to print page 2 on top. Clear the option to print page 2 on the bottom.
    ----------------------------------------------------

I think that maybe the "Back of the sheet" box needs to be checked for things to work properly for me. When I check it, the order of pages in the icon next to the box changes from 2,4,6 to 6,4,2. Just a minute while I test it ...

It worked! When the "Back of the sheet" box is checked, the icon changes to "6,4,2," and everything works out (page 2 appears on the back of page 1, and so on).

This works on both my printers:

HP LaserJet 1300, which when not duplex printing prints page 1 first, then works its way forward to page N, and which requires the print side UP in the paper tray.

HP Business Inkjet 1200, which when not duplex printing prints page N first, then works its way backward to page 1, and which requires the print side DOWN in the paper tray.

Now that I see how the check boxes actually work, the instructions are even MORE confusing. The "Front of the sheet" instruction seems to be talking about whether the page number appears in the footer ("bottom") or header ("top") position on the sheet. The "Back of the sheet" instruction is clearer, but seems to have it just backwards, at least for my printers. Selecting the option puts page 2 on the bottom of the stack, while clearing it puts page 2 on the top. (Of course "top" and "bottom" may have different meanings, depending on whether the printer requires the print side to be UP or DOWN in the tray. Better would be to say something like "first printed sheet of the stack" instead of TOP.)

Somebody needs to ask Microsoft to take a look at how this works, and then to rewrite the instructions. Or maybe it could be covered in Woody's next book about Word.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm using the Dutch version of Word, and the translation is clearer than the original. The phrase "on the bottom of each sheet" is confusing indeed.

I'm not sure why it works differently for you, but anyway, you've found a way to handle manual duplex.

Thanks

When one consults the Guru, one often learns even more than the Guru directly reveals! ;-)
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA