Thread: Dates

stevec

Dates

I am using Word 2000 and in 97 I used to be able to have a template with the current date field inserted. I then used to press a combination of keys which would fix the date the document was created. Is this possible in Word 2000?

Thanks[img]/w3timages/icons/shy.gif[/img]

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Dates

Yes. It should work exactly the same. For your template, click Insert / Date and Time and make sure you mark it to Update Automatically. Then save your template.

When you base a document on that template and want to convert the date to "hard text", put your cursor anywhere within the date and key Ctrl+Shift+F9.

HTH
    Karen

TBGOT

Another method that I have begun using in my templates is the field CREATEDATE. To get it into your document choose Insert/Field/DateTime/CREATEDATE. If you save it in a template it should make the date the same as the date the user did File/New/and chose the template. The thing I like especially about CREATEDATE is that it doesn't automatically update the document date each time it is opened. Doing a lot of work with law firms I have found this useful because they want to keep the date static once the document has been created.

This may not necessarily be what you need, but just wanted to pass it along in case...good luck. TBGOT (Jeri)

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

One other thing that you can do is to have an AutoNew macro for each of your regular templates. The macro (which can be recorded) can insert the current date field, then select it & lock it.

The advantage that I find is that:
    1) You start with the date the document is created.

2) If it takes a week to type the document, you can unlock the field, update it, & relock it.

3) If it's a document where you wish to send out a duplicate with a current date, you can unlock it, resend it, & then you have a choice between keeping the old date (by not saving changes) or the new date (by saving changes).

Hope this helps.

Thanks

See the following for information on the most useful date fields and how to format them.

http://www.addbalance.com/word/datefields1.htm

Hope this helps.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin