Star Lounger
    Thanks

Find results (WordXP)

I would like to search a really big document for all the occurences of a phrase. It is time consuming to scroll through them all using "Find Next". Is there a way to view all the results together, so that I can navigate quickly to the correct occurence?

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Re: Find results (WordXP)

Hi Canberra,

You could use a macro to copy each found occurrence, plus its paragraph (for context), to another document. You might also want to include appropriate page/paragraph references.

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thanks

Re: Find results (WordXP)

I've noticed that Acrobat Reader 6 or 7 has started doing this. The problem is, 8-10 words is just not enough context, and especially when they all appear in the same paragraph, it seems ridiculous to treat them all as separate entries. With that experience in mind, I'm not sure how I would implement your request in a way that is both reasonably intelligent, fast, and nondestructive. I think that Macropod's suggestion of a popping up a second (new) document, perhaps with links to navigate back into the original, would do a better job of giving you a fast overview and useful formatting information than designing a dialog box. Hmmm...