2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can't add record to table (Access XP)

Subject edited by HansV. "Access" wasn't very helpful.

Hello. I've add 2 new tables to an existing database that was working perfectly. Since adding those 2 tables, I cannot add a record to the database. I get the error that "You can't add or change a record because a related record is required in table X." ( the name of one of my new tables).

I checked my relationships and have made the relationship with these 2 new tables exactly the same as all my other tables, which work fine. I have a hunch I have to go through all of the previous 138 records and populate them with data from these 2 new tables.

Any ideas?

As always, TIA

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can't add record to table (Access XP)

If you have set referential integrity for the relationship between the table to which you want to add a record and "table X", you must provide a valid value for the linking field. If you haven't created records in "table X" yet, you will have to do that first, before trying to add records to the other table.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can't add record to table (Access XP)

Hans, Sorry to get back to you so late. I found the problem was that the ID field had a default value of "0" in the properties and that's why it wasn't found.

Thank you for all your help.