Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Limited Account Setup (XP Home SP2)

I'm assisting the setup of a wireless network at the local senior center computer lab. Everything works great while logged in on each computer as the administrator. We also have student accounts setup on each computer with limited access, but the student accounts don't have access to the network. Is there someplace where we can set up permissions that permit the limited student accounts to access IE and OE and shared documents on other computers on the net?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Limited Account Setup (XP Home SP2)

Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I had a brief look at your suggestion. It addresses many of the file and printer sharing setups, and I am quite familiar with them. However, my problem is that the non-administrator accounts do not have any access to the network. On my personal network at home my non-administrator accounts have access, and I don't recall having to perform any particular setup to enable them.

The computers I'm working with at the senior center had the Student accounts setup before we installed connections to a broadband network (which was all done with the administrator account). Would it help to delete the existing Student account and then create it anew?

Administrator
    Thanks

Are all the PCs running XP Home? Do you mean the Internet and not the local network? It couldn't hurt to delete and re-create the account.

Joe
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

As it turns out the problem was that the wireless network connection didn't start after booting up unless you went into the Adminstrator account and started the wireless utility program. We solved the problem by uninstalling the vendor's (AirLink101) utility program and then let the Windows Xp Wizard install the driver (from the vendor's CD). So, we will live without the utility program, as everything works OK that way. We hadn't noticed it before because we always started in Administrator mode and the first thing we did was start up the wireless utility program to see if it connected to the LAN.

Administrator
    Thanks

If you think the utility program is important you can try reinstalling and see if the option is available to install for all users. Or you could install for the Administrator and then temporarily make the Student user an admin, install for the Student and then change the Student back to limited. Although if the program requires admin privileges this would not work.

Joe
    Joe