Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook or Lotus Notes is mangling my attachments

Very bizarre stuff here. Let me give you some background:
    I'm using an US English version of Outlook 2000 SP1a (Win2K SP2)
    Everyone else in my company is trapped on Lotus Notes (Japanese) for e-mail.

Today I received an e-mail from someone in Jordan with a Word file attached. I can open the file on my system on my system without any problem. If I forward this e-mail message, attachment file and all, to anyone on the Notes network the Word file becomes gibberish.

The only thing I can think might be wrong is that there may be some Arabic characters floating around in the document that we can't see (in the Properties the creator's name and company are in Arabic). To look at the document you'd think it was all in English.

I'm at a loss here. If I send it to other Outlook users there are no problems with the file...it's just Notes that seems to have the problem. <font color=448800>It gets weirder...</font color=448800> The same message, sent directly from the e-mail server to Notes clients comes through without any problems. It's only when I send from Outlook to Notes that we have a problem.

Can anybody shed some light on this situation?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook or Lotus Notes is mangling my attachments

the word doc arrives but contains gibberish or no doc arrives, only a file that is gibberish?

wild guess is that you are sending to notes using RTF format and it's getting screwed up. Try forwarding using plain text.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

The Word .doc file arrives, but when it's opened the contents look like this:
    <hr>Ojg2OS8yMDAxIA1DbG9zaW5nIGRhdGU6MzAvNi8yMDAxIA 0NIwdJdGVtB0Rlc2NyaXB0aW9uB1F0
    eS4gaW4gdW5pdAcHMS4HQ2hhaW4gB09yZGluZyBjaGFpbiBhcy BtZW50aW9uIGluIGRyd2luZyBu
    by4gMSh0aG9tYXMgc3RlZWQgc3QuMzcpBzQwMAcHMi4HU2hhY2 tsZXMHU2hhY2tsZXMgbWFkZSBv....(for 15+ pages)
    <hr>
    The file is a real .doc file, not .rtf. This particular file has tables in it with a bunch of text.
    <hr>Try forwarding using plain text. <hr>
    I'm actually forwarding the message containing an attachment, which in this case is a Word .doc file. If I open the document, save it to my harddisk, and then send the attachment to a Notes user, there is no problem. I want to know why the attachments in forwarded messages are having problems, but not attachments in messages that are directly sent.

Ursusmaximus

Can't tell you why (sadly), but you could ask the sender to try the following in Notes before sending the message:
    Delivery options>Advanced>Send this message to other Notes mail user(s) through the Internet
    -- check it if unchecked, uncheck if checked
    Also in the same Notes dialog, the sender could try selecting a different Mime character set.
    (The options apply to Notes 5.0.5, btw).

HTH

Steve

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your reply. We're using Notes 4.52 still, and neither of those options seem to be available unfortunately.

Ursusmaximus

In earlier versions of Notes, you could get to "Delivery options" via Tools.

Steve

Lounger
    Thanks

You can change the encoding in the attachment in outlook as well. If you can find out what encoding the Lotus Notes client or server is using, that would save time, but trial and error is often the best option.

When sending the email, click on fileroperties. in the dialogue, click on send options, and choose the encoding type
    Chances are Lotus is using BinHex or UUncode

Hope this helps