2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

use same .mdw file (2000)

Hi

I have a secured database (databaseA) that uses Secured.mdw on the network. I have created another small database file (databaseB) that has a couple of linked tables from databaseA. I would like databaseB to use the same Secured.mdw file as databaseA. How do I go about this?

Many thanks in advance

Amanda

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: use same .mdw file (2000)

Create a shortcut that opens databaseB with the .mdw file. The target of the shortcut looks like this:

"C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficeMSAccess.exe" "...databaseB.mdb" /wrkgrp "...Secured.mdw"

filling in the appropriate paths for the database and the workgroup file. Use the shortcut to open the database.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans

I've done that, when opening the database via the shortcut it works fine, no problem. However the original database file is still insecure and opens without any password prompting.

thanks

Amanda

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you open the database without the secured .mdw, you'll login as the default Admin user. If you have followed the guidelines from Microsoft Access Security FAQ, Admin will have few or no permissions in the database.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans

All is now secure!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

oops, I replied to myself by mistake, sorry for posting it twice

Hans

A new problem has occured. There is a third database - which is the back end. I don't want this database to have user-level security on it as it complicates importing objects. The back end database does have a database password to it which I would like to keep. However, since I have changed the permissions for the admin user, I am prompted for a password for my back end database.

Basically I have 3 databases
    database1 - front end each user has a copy on their pc. I have setup user accounts for this a couple of months ago - everything was working fine
    database2 - Mainly a completely separate database however has a couple of linked tables from back end database3. I would like this database to use same security.mdw file as database1. I created a shortcut as suggested but this did not stop users going in at actual .mdb file and opening. I therefore removed admin user's permissions and gave admin user a password
    database 3 - this is the back end to my application. This has a database password. However it is now prompting me for a user-level password as well. I do not want this database to have user-level security.

I hope this makes sense,

Any guidance would be much appreciated

Amanda

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm going to jump in here because this is very important. If you do not have user security on the back end, then you do not have user security, period, since anyone can log into the back end from any workgroup as long as they know the password. For security purposes, that is virtually non-existent. If the back end is in a protected location, you may be able to get away with this, but I fail to see the purpose.

That being said, it is not the database but the workgroup that is prompting you for a login. If you change workgroups and join the non-secured workgroup, the back end won't prompt you for a password when you open it directly. You cannot be a member of two different workgroups at once.
    Charlotte

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Charlotte has already replied. I can only add my agreement to what she says: if you want your data to be secure, you MUST apply user-level security to the backend too.

It's best to be a member of a plain vanilla unsecured workgroup file, and to use shortcuts to open secured databases together with the appropriate secured workgroup file.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Charlotte

Thanks for your reply. I see what you are saying about the back-end not being properly protected.

However, if I now try and create a new database it prompts me for a username and password. I know you said that the it is the workgroup that is prompting me for a login, but how do I change the workgroup so that for new databases I don't get prompted?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Locate the workgroup administrator program. For the UK English version of Access 2000, the default location is

C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice2057Wrkgadm.exe

Start Wrkgadm.exe
    Click Create...
    Click OK.
    Accept the file name or specify one, then click OK.
    You'll now be a member of the new unsecured .mdw.

You can still use the secured .mdw you created earlier by opening a database through a shortcut.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans

I really appreciate all your and Charlotte's help. However I am now in a pickle. Is there an article anywhere you can recommend that covers using user-level security with multiple databases etc? I am not really sure what is going on anymore. I can't get into one of my databases as administrator.

Many thanks

Amanda

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

WendellB's tutorial The Secrets of Security contains lots of useful links.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by WendellB on 27-Jul-05 20:49. Changed to markup tags for bullet list to improve readability.)</P>Thanks for the link Hans

The following has cleared this up for me - I thought I'd post it incase anyone else was interested
    Workgroup File Administration
    The developer or application administrator can create additional workgroup information files using Wrkgadm.exe. This file can be found at the following location:
    C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice1033
    The Workgroup Administrator is designed to create new workgroup information files or to join to existing workgroup information files. After you join a specific workgroup information file, Microsoft Access will use that specific file each time that a database is opened, unless another method is used to point Access to a different MDW file. Otherwise, Access will always use the last workgroup file that you joined whenever you start Access by one of the following means: <UL><LI>From the Programs menu in Microsoft Windows.
    <LI>From a Desktop shortcut to the database file only.
    <LI>When you double-click a database file in Windows Explorer.[/list]Microsoft Access can be instructed to use a specific workgroup file at the time in which a database is opened. To accomplish this, it is necessary to create a shortcut. The shortcut must have a command-line option that will start a specific database and a specific workgroup information file. To start an Access database named MyApp.mdb in a folder named MyAppFolder and to use a secured workgroup file named System.mdw, the command line syntax must have the /WrkGrp command-line switch, for example:
    "C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficeMsaccess.Exe" "C:MyAppFolderMyApp.mdb" /wrkgrp "C:MyAppFolderSystem.mdw"

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Nice summary, Amanda. It should be noted in addition that the location of the workgroup file and the method of invoking it only apply to Access 2000. In Access 2002 and 2003 the workgroup administrator is invoked from the Access command menu Tools / Security, though you still may be able to find it in the Office folder if you do a search.
    Wendell