Thread: CD Rom Problems

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

CD Rom Problems

On my kids computer, PI-166, Win98: I'm trying to install a JumpStart First Grade program. But the install disc is recoginized as an audio CD only. The drive doesn't seem to notice that this is a data disc, including an install routine. It only recognizes the .cda tracks on the disc and this keeps me from installing the program. No matter what method is used to explore the disc, it only shows the .cda files. But I know there's more on the disc because I've installed the program on my Gateway with no problem.

One thing odd about the kids system: the config.sys file has nothing in it, totally blank.! Maybe this matters.

In case your wondering. They had no problem installing and running the other five discs in the set (2nd, 3rd grade, etc). The First grade discs has 9 audio tracks on it in addition to the data - unlike the others in the set.

Help!
    - Ricky

Thanks

Re: CD Rom Problems

Have you tried installing by using Add/Remove programs from the CP?
    Failing that, could you copy the entire CD contents to your HD and try installing from there?
    From explorer, check the settings for what files and extensions can be shown under Tools | Options - can you see the other files now?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Leif - Thanks for responding. I did try to install via the CP. I've taken the disc back to my computer and now I'm getting the same problem. Viewing the contents of the disc while in a DVD or a CDRW only reveals the music tracks. Strange, I KNOW there's data on the disc but I can't see it. I think I'll chalk this one up to a "damaged" disc.
    - Ricky

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I've seen this problem before. Just after data was put on CDs, someone thought it would be good to put both audio tracks and data on one disk. This was not a good idea. There are all kinds of CD players and CD-ROMs that just don't know what to make of these disks. My guess is that if you upgraded to a new CD-ROM, you would most likely be able to access the disk.

As for the consys.fig... I mean config.sys, you are probably looking for cdrom drivers? Win95+ doesn't need them if the motherboard drivers are installed properly.

Another possible solution is to get on a computer that can read the data off the disk and write just the data to a CD-R.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Dean - I bet your right. If I get a chance, I'll take the cd to a different machine with a newer reader and see what the results are. In the meantime, I'm going to check for driver upgrades for mine. Thanks for input.
    - Ricky

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

A trick that might let you get this installed....

Boot into a DOS prompt using a floppy that has CD ROM support (if you don't know how to make one, let me know and I'll dig up a few links). Copy the entire CD to a new directory on your PC in DOS mode and then install the sucker! Unfortunately, with JumpStart, you need the CD in the drive to play the game so this will also mean that you have a large chunk of HD space devoted to....an annoying rabbit [img]/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Good luck!
    -Mark