Star Lounger
    Thanks

Track Changes automatically on old documents (XP)

I have a client, and I've had the same issue myself, with a problem regarding Track Changes.

When opening a document created in an older version of Word, the Track Changes will be on with all the changes made to that document from the last time (pre-software update) showing. How, other than accepting all the changes and saving the document, can this be turned off?

Thanks for your help

Thanks

Re: Track Changes automatically on old documents (

You can turn off the tracking of new changes and save the document, preserving the revision marks that currently exist.

Perhaps the question is, what exactly do you want to happen with these old documents?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I don't need to keep the tracking of the old document, I don't even want it.

Actually, the problem is when opening the older document, it is full of redline/strikeout text. I want that to go away and not come up when I open those older documents at any time.

In the past, I've had to open the older documents, accept all changes, save the document. This stops the redline/strikeout from showing up when I open it again later. I don't necessarily need to have the track changes working for the 'new' document. I just want the mark ups to stop coming up when I bring up the 'historical' document.

Thanks again

Thanks

You can do what you are doing (either manually or through some kind of automation) and actually "finalize" the changes, or you can have Word display the document as though you had finalized the changes, even though you haven't. You would set this on the Reviewing toolbar, by changing the drop-down from "Final showing markup" to "Final". However, I don't recommend that, because it is too easy to Save As or copy and paste and carry revisions forward, causing confusion later.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I thought that would be the only solution. Thanks for the confirmation.