Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

AutoExit at reboot? (WordXP/WinXp)

What would execute a template in my Word Startup folder at reboot time?

Not Prefetch; I thought it might until I read EdBott's excellent article. regardless, I've tried rebooting with the (regEdit) EnablePrefetcher=0 and EnablePrefetcher=1. No difference.

Not my GriSoft scanner; I tried renaming the program folder from C:Program FilesGrisoft to C:Program FilesGGGrisoft between reboots.

My Startup folders are near empty - WinAmp, EasyNotification(email) and a Batch file XPAuto.BAT that cycles my desktop wallpaper.

The attached ZIP contains a simple Dot1.dot. With this Dot1.dot as the sole occupant of my Word Startup folder, no reboot of my WinXP system is complete without the little AutoExit message box announcing itself.

I can afford to experiment right now - I'm in a project that requires a reboot several times a day. It's driving me (more) bonkers.

Thanks

Re: AutoExit at reboot? (WordXP/WinXp)

> With this Dot1.dot as the sole occupant of my Word Startup folder, no reboot of my WinXP system
    > is complete without the little AutoExit message box announcing itself.

It means that Windows is terminating a Word session. Does it not appear to be doing so?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

> It means that Windows is terminating a Word session. Does it not appear to be doing so?

Yes it does. (unless some other program is darn good at emulating MSWord).

Why, though, is a Word Session in progress? This is the boot sequence.

I should have been more explicit, and said "during the boot phase of a reboot". For example, this morning I powered on the machine to perform my backup boot, the first boot of the day. During that sequence, WinAmp fires up and starts playing music, the DOS batch file fires up, detects the second drive, and starts XCopying files from C: to E:, and then (tada!) I see the AutoExit MsgBox.

During the boot sequence, from a cold, powered-off machine, a Word session is winding down and triggering an AutoExit macro.

What is Word doing there in the first place?

I haven't loaded it, there's been no splash screen. There's been enough time to load it - after all, I have but one small dot1.dot in the Word Startup folder - but there's no evidence of it having been run.

I'm very puzzled, and have begun un-checking material from the MSConfig Startup tab in an attempt to isolate this behaviour. I'm that close to renaming WinWord.EXE and watching to see who/what objects, and when.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

After ripping out enough boot-time software to necessitate a re-activation request, I think I've traced the problem to my Canon scanner OmniPage software.

I've used MSConfig to flip this software in and out. When checked ON the AutoExit is executed at boot time; When checked OFF the AutoExit is NOT executed at boot time. Presumably OmniPage makes use of Word, and when it is loaded, checks to see if Word is present by executing it and quitting it.

Presumably too this has been going on ever since I installed the scanner, adding to my boot time.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

The issue is not AutoExit.
    It is the stupid coding of whatever Word template is being used during Startup of the system.

I have OmniPagePro Office 14, and I've seen some of the code used in their template(s). For example, AutoClose modifies the Normal template, no reason to not believe other such poor code exists for AutoExit,