2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Restricting sharing to two users only (Windows XP home)

Hello,
    I have done a search of this forum and didn't find an answer to this question.
    We have a requirement that two users of the same computer be able to see and edit each other's documents while keeping them in separate directories. We have several other user accounts that we want to prevent from using these documents.
    We have attempted to use "Shared Documents" diectory but this makes the documents available to all.
    Is there any way we can restrict access to these two users only? Neither of the users is skilled enough for us to grant them administrator status.
    Thanks in advance,

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Restricting sharing to two users only (Windows XP home)

This would be simple to do using File permissions on an NTFS volume if you were running XP Professional.

According to <!mskb=308418>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 308418<!/mskb> you can set permissions from Safe Mode in XP Home, I've never tried this so please let us know if it works.

StuartR

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Restricting sharing to two users only (Windows XP home)

Stuart,
    Thank you. It works!

I would never have found this information without your help. We were looking for "sharing" not "file permissions" having been convinced that XP home did not support security.

We tried it on my home computer and everything seemed to work as described.

Within the next week or so, we'll try in in the office where it's really required.

Thanks again,
    Judith