3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Keep .doc window minimized (win xp office 2002)

With a Word doc open, I minimize it to show the desktop, then double click another Word doc icon to open it. It opens in its own window, but the other previously minimized doc window also restores itself which is inconvenient - I want it to stay minimized to the task bar until called for by me. How can i prevent this behaviour by Word?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Keep .doc window minimized (win xp office 2002)

I don't think you can prevent this, except by unchecking "Windows in Task Bar" in the View tab of Tools | Options. Word will then use a single application window containing all open documents, which may not be what you want.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Keep .doc window minimized

Thanks for this, but you are right, it is not what I want. Often I have two or three documents open to work on together, then minimize them whilst doing something else, then restore them. There are some utilities which allow me to minimize to the system tray, so I will see if they help.

Thanks

Re: Keep .doc window minimized (win xp office 200

I've noticed that clicking a link in email also brings the last (Firefox) browser window to the front, before opening the new one. Whether this is inherent to Windows, or might be controlled by the settings in the File Types dialog, I haven't explored. However, I thought it might be useful to note that this behavior is not peculiar to Word documents.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Keep .doc window minimized (win xp office 200

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by jscher2000 on 28-Jul-05 13:25. Added link to product web site for anyone interested in reading more.)</P>I tried minimizing some windows to the system tray using Actual Window Manager. In that case, they don't un-minimize when I launch another document.