rlbroerman

equation with text (exel 2003)

I want to have an equation that will sum a row of numbers but sometimes the cells in the row have text in them and I get and error "#value!". How do I get the equation to ignore the text. Can you help?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: equation with text (exel 2003)

The SUM function ignores text values; a formula with + will result in #VALUE if there are text values:

<table border=1><td></td><td align=center>A</td><td align=center>B</td><td align=center>C</td><td align=center>D</td><td align=center>1</td><td align=right>12</td><td>Excel</td><td align=right>23</td><td>Word</td><tr><td align=center>2</td><td align=right>

rlbroerman

Actually I did not give you the complete story. I have numbers in a row that I need to subtract from numbers in the row above and then total the result. Still with text possibly in any cell that needs to be ignored.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

OK, but you still havent given us the complete story. If the numbers are in A1:E2, and you want to add the numbers in A1:E1 and subtract the numbers in A2:E2, then the following formula will work:

<code>
    =SUM(A1:E1)-SUM(A2:E2)
    </code>

However, the part of the story that you still didn't give us is, what do you want to do if A1 contains a number and A2 contains text? Does the number in A1 participate in the calculation, or is it left out? If the number in A1 is left out of the calculation in that case, then you could use the following array formula (Hold down Ctrl+Shift when you press enter to confirm the formula):

<code>
    =SUM(IF(ISERROR(A1:E1-A2:E2),0,A1:E1-A2:E2))
    </code>
    Legare Coleman