Lounger
    Thanks

Access error (2003)

A few users attempting to run a database are experiencing an error once they opt to select an option from the main menu. The error is restricted to their machines only. Logging onto a different machine doesn't prompt the error. The message is as follows:

(database name) Database for DSCR

The expression On Click you entered as the event property setting produced the following error:
    The expression you entered has a function name that the (database name) Database for DSCR can

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access error (2003)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

Since the problem only occurs on some PCs, it might be a references problem. You'll have to investigate it there:
    - Open the database on one of the problem machines.
    - Activate the Visual Basic Editor (Alt+F11)
    - Select Tools | References...
    - If there are references starting with MISSING, note which ones they are, then clear their check boxes.
    - Click OK to close the References dialog.
    - Select Tools | Compile <projectname> to see if there are errors.

Lounger
    Thanks

Hans -

Thanks for getting back to me. Went to one of the affected machines and checked the references. None of them started with missing. I also verified that the version of Microsoft Jet was in accordance with the security level setting, which it is. The odd thing is that the 2 machines so far affected became so a day apart, one yesterday and one this morning. The other thing is that there are actually two Access databases that are used and the affected machines cannot execute menu options once the database is accessed in either one. Different users logging onto these machines have the same problem. Even went so far as to reload Access on one machine but the problem persists.

Still stumped.

rbr

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'd try to find out exactly which bit of the VBA code causes the problem. Unfortunately, this can be very time consuming - you'd have to work with a copy of the database and remove or disable bits and pieces, testing each time whether the problem still occurs.

Lounger
    Thanks

Hans -

Solved my own problem so I thought I would let you know for future references. Apparently the affected machines had not had Microsoft Jet 4.0 Service Pack 8 installed onto them. When security in Access is set to medium or high, a more recent version of Jet 4.0 must be installed, or Access will not function properly, as was the case here. For some reason the affected machines had not installed the updates when they were received. Thanks again for your help.

Rick

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for posting the solution!