Thread: Tracking (2003)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Tracking (2003)

Hi, I am having trouble tracking. I track tasks by entering hours completed and remaining and because we manufacture our products at different rates, tasks never progress in the order or time estimated. I would like to be able to move the completed work and remaining work around the status date. The calculation tab under the Tools, Options menu doesn't seem to work. I have either been using the Tools, Tracking, Update Project, Reschedule incomplete work to start after: Status Date or manually moving the task bar itself. I also noticed that the progress bar is sometimes pushed farther forward than it should and considered to be remaining work. I would appreciate it if anybody had any information or suggestions.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Tracking (2003)

As an alternative to what you are currently using you might try using the Task Usage view. You can add the detail Actual Work to the right window by right clicking in the right pane and selecting Actual work. To update your Project enter Actual work for each particular date. Project will calculate remaining work by Work-Actual Work = Remaining Work. If remaining work increases then you can manually adjust on any particular day.
    The status date is usually used for reporting purposes, particularly the earned value report or for Project progress lines. If you are looking at the current date as your status date and are updating tasks as complete as of the current date this implies close of business on the current date. The current date gridline represents start of business on the current date so you would visually have a progress bar that extends past the current date gridline.
    The default in Project is to round Gantt Bars to full days. this feature can be disabled from Format Layout. Sometimes this can also cause the progress bars to look inaccurate.
    Hope this helps. If you have more specific questions post back.
    Carla

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Carla,
    I have tried entering actual work, but that become too tedious, because the durations of these tasks are long. My real problem is moving the task bars with progress lines around the status date still. After I update the project to reschedule after the status date, the progress bars will sometimes fall three days past the status date. I would also like to move the completed work forward against the status date. Done manually, I cannot make it that accurate. The options in the calculation tab in the Tools Menu, Options do not work. I select the options, then randomly do not select some of them, calculate manually, and automatically. The task bars just do not seem to be phased by those options. Any suggestions would be great.
    Matt.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Matt,

What are you considering the Status date? The current date or a date you enter in the Status Date area of Project Information? Also are you looking at the black progress bars in the center of the task bars, or the feature called progress lines that puts what looks a little like a zig zag set of lines indicating if tasks are ahead or behind schedule as of a status date you enter in Project Information?

If you update the project to mark tasks complete as of the date you enter it will mark all uncompleted work as complete up to that date, but it will not remove already entered work complete, extending beyond the date entered. If you reschedule uncompleted work after a date you enter it will only move uncompleted work forward and will leave completed work alone regardless of if it is ahead of the date you enter. Both of these options only move things forward, not backward. If you find entering Actual work to detailed, I think it is more common to use the Update Tasks dialog box or the tracking table for updating a project rather than these global features. I don't think Project will move things as a unit around a specific date in the way I understand you are using it.

You might be changing some of the expected functionality of Project by randomly changing things in Tools Options. As most of these choices apply to all projects once you have made these changes you might want to keep documentation of what you have changed so you can go back if you need to. Many of the Calculation options only apply to specific fields of data.

Carla

New Lounger
    Thanks

Carla,

The progress bars I am referring to are the black progress bars that move beyond my status date by three days in some cases when I update the project to reschedule incomplete work after the status date, which is the current date or older. This forces me to manually move the task bar back. My only fear is that isn't accurate because the percent complete always appears less than what the black progress bars show on the task bar. Under the Tool, Options, Calculation tab. There are four options: Move end of completed parts after status date back to status date, And move start of remaining parts back to status date, Move start of remaining parts before status date forward to status date, and Move end of completed parts forward to status date. When these options are selected, none of them seem to work unless I use Tools, Tracking, Update Project. Any ideas would be great. Thanks.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have attached a Word document that I probably found in help somewhere about how the Status date options calculate in project.

% Complete is calculated based on the duration of a task not the work effort of the task so that might be why % complete seems off .

Hope this helps you get closer to a solution to your questions.

Carla
    Attached Files Attached Files