Star Lounger
    Thanks

Microsoft Encountered an Error (2000/2003)

We have a database with a switchboard and with access security applied. I am admin on the database and owner of the objects. I can get in and out of the database fine.

After I have been in the database and get out, other users can get into the database and into a form for editing just fine. If they get out and back in again, when they click the item on the switchboard to open the form, they get the "Microsoft has encountered an error... has to close" message. If I get in and out the database, the form will open for them again, until they exit and reopen.

At the network folder level, they have read/write/update/delete permissions. The username they log into the database with has read/update/delete permissions to the tables, queries, and forms. I have the "users" account set with no permissions. Although I did try giving the "users" group read permissions to the table, query, and form. It didn't help anything.

Along with this, when I open the database and try to "design" a form, it tells me I don't have exclusive access to the database. I have checked the network and no one has the file open and there are no ldb files showing in the directory. I can open the database and design if I add the /excl switch to the icon, but I don't have to do that on any of the other databases we have.

I'm wondering if the two are related, and if it is somehow related to the security settings, but I can't see anything wrong.

Any ideas of things I could check?

Thanks,
    Patty

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Microsoft Encountered an Error (2000/2003)

Try going to Tools> Options> General> and check the box Compact on Close and see if that helps?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I forgot to mention, I already tried the Compact and Repair and it didn't help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It reeks of database corruption. I would create a blank new database and import database objects from the problem database into it. Don't forget to set startup options and, if necessary, non-standard references in the VB editor.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I made a copy of the database, deleted all the tables and forms out of the original, and reimported them from the copy and so far that has fixed the problem.

Thanks so much!