New Lounger
    Thanks

shortcut for today's date (Acc 2000 9.0.6929 SP-3)

I'm using an Access 2000 database that was converted from Access 97. When I try to use the Ctrl+; shortcut to enter today's date in a table (date field), I get an error message "The expression you entered has a function name that Microsoft Access can't find." When I try to do the same thing in a database created initially in Access 2000, the shortcut works.

Related problem(?): Access doesn't recognize the function "Date()" in the converted db, but recognizes it in the native 2000 db. The function "Now ()" works fine in both databases.

Can someone explain? Better still, can someone tell me how to get the shortcut to work in the converted database?

Thanks for your help!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: shortcut for today's date (Acc 2000 9.0.6929 SP-3)

It's probably a references problem.
    - Activate the Visual Basic Editor.
    - Select Tools | References...
    - If you see references beginning with MISSING, clear their check boxes, then click OK.
    - Select Debug | Compile <project> to see if there are still errors.

Another issue: Access 97 used DAO, Access 2000 supports both DAO and ADO, but that can lead to confusion.
    If you have code involving recordsets, fields etc. written in Access 97, you should make all declarations explicit: change Dim rst As Recordset to Dim rst As DAO.Recordset and Dim fld As Field to Dim fld As DAO.Field.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: shortcut for today's date (Acc 2000 9.0.6929 SP-3)

Holy mackerel! Hans, you are my hero! I found the missing reference, cleared its check box, tried the shortcut AND the function, and everything worked!

This thing has been bugging me since I converted the database over a year ago. Many thanks and happy thoughts are headed your way.