Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Some Like it HOT HOT HOT

Ouch, I just got a new Athlon 1.2GHz processor running in my ASUS A7A266. Great system with one minor (wincing) flaw:

The processor runs at nearly 68C.

The case alarm goes off and that's annoying enough. But this is happening at a near idle state so I can't really do anything that I want - gaming is definitely out. SQL is not gonna happen. You get the drift.

The processor has an Orb fan mounted on it. There is also a small (60mm) fan at the case rear, a slot fan at the bottom, and an 80mm intake fan on the front of the case. Is this inadequate cooling? I mean, does the Athlon just flat out run super-hot? Or is there a better solution? I don't want to get into Peltier elements or liquid cooling on this SOB!
    -Mark

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Some Like it HOT HOT HOT

Yes, Athlons run hot. But the Orb fans have not been known to be the best at what they do. Try a better, bigger heatsink.

Thanks

Size of fans doesn't necessarily matter - it's their throughput that is important.
    They have been put on the right way round, have they? - i.e. they're not all blowing inwards or outwards?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, the fans are all blowing in the correct directions. I read through AMD's cooling and thermal design guide and the system is set up correctly.

However, in other research, I found some interesting information on this subject: the BIOS revision that I have (1004) apparently has this problem, and it's not uncommon. More on that <A target="_blank" HREF=http://groups.google.com/groups?q=A7A266+overheat&num=50&hl=en&lr=&newwindo w=1&safe=off&rnum=2&ic=1&selm=9cukn9$hvf$1@oprah.c c.utexas.edu>here</A>. Perhaps a different BIOS will solve this when I test later today...

So far, I would have to say that the A7A266 is something to avoid. It's too new and it has these little problems that are annoying.

Anyone know what the normal operating range is for an Athlon 1.2? 68C definitely is not it.
    -Mark

Thanks

This <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.amd.com/products/cpg/athlon/techdocs/pdf/23794.pdf>pdf</A> from Athalon any use?
    "AMD Thermal, Mechanical and Chassis Cooling Design Guide"

Lounger
    Thanks

I have built hundreds of machines now but still fall foul of this, the coolers supplied with athalons (at least where I am) have to be fitted the right way round, they have a step in the base plate that fits over the raised section at the end of the processor socket. The other way round they do tend to overheat, sometimes so fast that the system will not start.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the input, my friends.

I have again been burned by the redoutable A7A2666 motherboard. It turns out that in my attempt to solve a problem related to the ATI video card, I flashed the BIOS to rev 1004.

Rev 1004 makes the CPU overheat!

The solution is to flash 1003b (1002 is unstable). ASUS techical support swears that 1004 reports the correct temperature in the face of many posts on the Usenet that suggest the 1004 BIOS is total @#$!%.

Avoid this mobo unless you like endless fiddling! Thanks to ASUS, NVidia sold a new video card and they won't acknowledge the problem with their BIOS either!
    -Mark