Thread: Win98 Update

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win98 Update

Does anyone know where I can get the Windows 95 to 98 update? We have licenses for 98 and I tried to install it over Win95 on an old ibm Thinkjet we have. BUT, it would n't install & the error msg. said I needed Win98 update not the full install CD we had.

Thanks!

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Win98 Update

Hang on a bit and let's all do a little Googling, unless another Lounger already knows this answer: It seems to me that this question has been asked before around the web. And, as I remember is you CAN use the full install to "upgrade" a Win95 machine but I don't remember what command parameter(s) you need to use. If you already have a legit Win98 CD and the corresponding license key, I don't think you should have to buy an upgrade version. (I'm also not sure what the impact is of using Win98 vs Win98<big>SE</big>) Let's go surfing...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I'm not sure if I've had any luck or not. These two links are the only thing I've been able to come up with. It's frustrating because I know it's been talked about in the past. Have you found anything?

Win95 Upgrade To Win98 With Full Edition Of Win98(URGENT)

Doing a Windows 9X/Me Upgrade with the Full Version

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

it seems to tell you to run an executable called startup -- but there is no such file on my cd-rom

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you're talking about that second link, I think that's a typo and should say SETUP. Here's a quote with bold showing why I think thus:
    <hr>D:win98><big>startup</big> /NTLDR

Where D: is your CD-ROM drive

<big>Setup</big> /NTLDR tells setup not to detect an installed operating system. OEM versions and full retail releases of Windows can only be installed on computers that do not have an installed operating system. This switch supposedly circumvents that restriction. <hr>
    Please note that I've not tried this, so I don't know if you're willing to take any risks involved. As always, you ought to backup any critical data files if you can, just in case!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks - that makes perfect sense - I should have thought of it...

I understand it may zap the entire thing - I'll give it a try.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Since you have the full Win 98, you could choose to do a CLEAN instal of Win 98 into another disk partition, even on another drive.

A CLEAN install should be more stable than an upgrade install over Win 95.