5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Autocomplete (2003)

I have a table, which has a autonumber for a log No, with a description. I have another table which is like a timesheet. I want the user to be able to key in the log no on the timesheet, and the description will be filled automatically. I also want the user to be able to enter a description of work which is not related to a log No. I used a query to do the first bit, but when I entered a description, it automatically created a new log number. What's the correct way of doing this?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Autocomplete (2003)

What fields does the timesheet-like table have?
    How is it related to the main table?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The table has a start time, end time, description, and log No. The two tables are linked with the log No.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

What is the data type of the log no field in the timesheet table?
    Is there a primary key, and if so, on which field or fields?
    In your original question, did you want to copy the description from the main table to the timesheet table?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The data type is a number. There is no primary key. And yes I did want to copy the description from the main table.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

No primary key? Then what is the log number? If you're going to use Access's relational features optimally, you'll have to use primary keys.
    Charlotte

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Why would you want to copy the description? You can always retrieve the description from the main table in a query (and use it in a form or report), that avoids duplicate storage.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I've created a primary key, and the query is retrieving the description (that's what I meant before, not 'Copy'). But if I try to enter data without a log, I get Microsoft Jet Engine can't find 'Log No'

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

In the first post in this thread, you stated that you wanted the user to be able to enter a description that is not related to a Log No. Such descriptions don't belong in a table that is linked to the main table on Log No. You should create a separate table for such comments, and the user should enter them separately.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans, I've done that. I've also created a basic table with just ID, Name, and Date on it. How can I incorporate this into a form, so that on each day, a user can enter his name, and enter the work, as your previous answer. I tried putting an ID on the Timesheet table and linking them, but that doesn't seem to work.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

As far as I can tell, there will be no relationship between the timesheet table and the new table, so I don't see why you would want an ID field in the timesheet table.

I think you should work out the data structure you need on paper BEFORE trying to create any tables, queries and forms. You can download a short introduction Understanding Relational Database Design from the Microsoft site.