New Lounger
    Thanks

Modified password after protecting a form (2003)

We send out documents to our customers that contains Form Fields in Word. We password protect the document, send it out, they fill it in and send it back to us. Now that we've upgraded to Word 2003 we're having some problems. When customers edit the documents (I'm assuming in an older version of Word) and send them back to us our passwords don't work anymore. When we try and unprotect the form and enter our password it just says "Incorrect Password" does anyone know of an issue like this?

Many thanks in advance,
    Shane

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Modified password after protecting a form (2003)

I assume you've checked that Caps Lock hasn't been turned on accidentally? (Passwords are case sensitive)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, all our passwords are all lowercase and the caps lock key is not on.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Not sure what happened then.

Fortunately, or unfortunately, protecting a document for forms doesn't amount to much. You can create a new document, and use Insert | File to insert a document protected for forms into it. The result will be unprotected...

Thanks

Re: Modified password after protecting a form (200

How are you applying the protection? In earlier versions of Word, as I'm sure you recall, you can protect only entire sections and not smaller units of the document. Perhaps you are already protecting in the "old" way, but in case you aren't, I think it's worth trying.

If you need to remove the document protection password, the usual three-step for Word 2000 and Word 2002 is as follows: Save As RTF, Close document, Open the RTF. Although the document still is protected, the password has been erased. Not sure whether Microsoft changed this in Word 2003, but I suspect not.