Lounger
    Thanks

Word Mail Merge 2 pages (Word 2003)

Did a mail merge with a two page letter. Merged to a document - so there are alternating cover sheet and second pages in the document. Want to send it to a printer alternating between trays - but the only thing that seems to come up in Page setup is first page and subsequent pages. Any way to get it to alternate trays for every other page?

--*Rob

Thanks

Re: Word Mail Merge 2 pages (Word 2003)

If you switch your document to Normal view (View>Normal), there should be "next page" section breaks between each letter. If you select all and set the trays, the setting will apply to the first page and subsequent pages within each individual section. Then Word should give you the result that you want. Probably best to test with the first few sections... (in your print range, you can use s1-s3 instead of page numbers).

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Wow...strange to get this Q now...as I was asked about it the other day!

Jefferson...please clarify in steps how to do this. I had a client with this scenario:
    She has a seven page document that must go to each of 300 employees. The first page must be a printed letterhead, and the other 6 a plain folio page. Each of the 7 pages has fields for merging info.

How must she set up the print instructions to print first page on letterhead and 6 pages on white A4 folio, repeated for 300 employees??

Tx
    Regards,
    Rudi

Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by jscher2000 on 06-Sep-05 11:12. )</P>First, try setting the trays in the "main" merge document, on the theory that the first tray/other trays settings will be replicated in the final "merged output" document. If in fact the trays did not properly get assigned in the merged output document, select all in that document and set the trays as though there were only one section (first page to the letterhead tray, other pages to the plain paper tray), and this should apply automatically within each section. (If the "merged output" document does not have 300 sections, one for each letter, then there is a big problem!!)

Added: More literally, the trays are set using File>Page Setup..., Paper tab. Avoid using "default" or "autoselect" for the "other pages," since the printer may fail to switch back to the plain paper tray after it has been told to print the first page on letterhead. Finally, please note that different printers have different trays, so one must first choose the printer by using File>Print, (select printer), Cancel, to get the correct list of paper trays.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Thx for the extra info Jefferson. I'm gonna let my client know that there may be an alternative to the sluggish manual approach. I'll have them experiment with the printer and trays and hope they get it working as they need.
    Cheers
    Regards,
    Rudi