Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Re: MS Word XP (XP)

Hi Doris,

Why don't you put the masthead in the page header, perhaps with the document's page layout set to 'different first page' (so that the header doesn't appear on all pages.

That way, the cursor will go to the first line in the body of the document.

See attached.

Cheers
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Masthead and margins (Word XP)

Subject edited by HansV - "MS Word XP" wasn't very descriptive

Problem with continuous section break = after header. I have a header (masthead for stationary) which as margins of .5 ". I need the letter to have a margin of 1". So I created a continuous section break at the top of the page (after the header). But I have to hit the enter key to go down one line in order to have the margin change to 1".
    1. How do I get this document to open with the cursor blinking on the first line, after the header, at a margin of 1", not .5" which is the margin for the header (e.g. the previous section).
    Thank you.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Appreciate the suggestion - but I need the masthead on every page and it is already in the header. The margin does work after the continuous page break, BUT not until I hit enter. I am helping a business with this application and was hoping there is a way to have the cursor in the right place when the document opens. Thanks.

Lounger
    Thanks

Can you use a 1" margin for the document, but give the header a -0.5" indent? Then you wouldn't need a section break to change the margins. Sample attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cris - thanks - I never knew about this.
    1. Are you saying that you can set a header margin to -.5 from the normal margin and you do this by dragging the indents/tabs on the ruler - I got it to work by dragging, but is there another way - and
    2. what does it really mean to set a margin to minus; and can you do this only in the header vs. the main document, or can you also do this in different parts of the document - if so how.
    Appreciate your help so much. Thanks, Doris

Thanks

You can do this by either dragging the indents on the ruler OR you can highlight the header (and / or footer), right click and then select paragraph. Here, you can set both the left and right indentations.

You can also do this anywhere in the main body of the document by again selecting the appropriate paragraph(s) and then either dragging the left indent and / or right indent OR right click on the selection and select paragraph. See the screen shot. HTH.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions