3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Using other email accounts without asking (2003)

Hi.

Like many folk, I have multiple email accounts and multiple places I connect to the internet, including from client offices. Most of my accounts use the relay for the account provider, but I have one which is set up to use the relay from my home broadband provider.

Whenever I send a message using that account from a client office, though, and despite the fact that the template I use specifies that account, my email messages all seem to go out using a different account, the one that I have for the client whose office I am in.

Is this normal?

I'm not complaining - the messages go out, after all, but they show as coming from my client account when they shouldn't, and I get replies back into the client account which mucks up the auto-filing and category rules that I have set up.

Thanks

Stuart

Thanks

Re: Using other email accounts without asking (200

Your template (OFT file) has the correct account but Outlook is changing it? That's interesting... Can you tell whether it is changed at the moment you create the message -- in other words, saving the account in the template simply doesn't stick -- or whether Outlook is dynamically determining that it is preferable to send through a different account despite you having specified a particular one for that message?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Using other email accounts without asking (2003)

I do NOT use "templates" but I do know that any NEW email will be sent as the "Default" account, using the connected ISP.

How do you set a different account in a template, other than the defaut account?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Jefferson, hi.

As far as I can tell, the OFT file has the right account in it when I create the message, because the correct signature is applied for the account when I create the message. The account drop down highlights the correct account too. The only place I haven't checked is the outbox, because it seems to have a habit of marking the mail so that it won't be sent if I go and click on the message (the open envelope icon, rather than the closed one).

My default account is with my self-employed email address through my home ISP. My ISP relay seems to recognise the address whenever I send, and allows me to send it from anywhere without any problems.

My client email address uses a SMTP on the same (remote, separate from the client ISP) server as the POP3 mailbox for that account. It is not the default, but will send messages no problem from wherever I am connected.

This email address, which is the only one giving me problems, is for another client and uses a POP account hosted by an ISP with whom I have no relationship. The account settings in Outlook are set to relay through my home ISP, which is fine when I am working at home - the emails come out as being sent from that account. However, when I am in the client office it looks like Outlook is dynamically deciding that it can't use the relay given and is hunting around for another relay to use. I have not enabled SMTP authentication, so it's not that, and the relay is specified as my ISP (I've just checked) and not my client SMTP. When the messages arrive at the other end, they look as if they come from my client account.

This is not ISP-specific, since I work in two offices for the same client with different ISPs, and it is the same effect in both places.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Stuart

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dave, hi.

If you want to create a template, create the message (minus signatures) and select the account you want to use to deliver it - including categories, or any other options you want. Then save it using File | Save As -> template.

In signatures, in Tools | Options, write the signature (if any) that you want to apply to the account that you have just saved the template for.

Then to create a new message, select File | New | Choose Form, and select User Templates In File System. You should see the template that you created, and it comes out with the account that you selected and pre-populated with the signature that you set up for that account. (As an aside, it really bugged me that Outlook would let you set up different signatures, but only ever applied the default one - well this is how you get the right one).

To make sure that I always go here, I've deleted the "New Message" button on the toolbar and replaced it with the "Choose Form" button with a button face that I created for it since it doesn't have one by default. Now I always choose the template that I want to use, and up until now it has worked just fine...

Cheers,

Stuart

Super Moderator
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by DaveA on 04-Aug-05 07:50. )</P>Now, while in a new email using a template, check to see if the correct account is selected by picking the "Accounts down arrow".

Is the correct account the default in each template?

Edit:
    Just added two templates and they both work using the correct selected account. I am using Outlook 2003 SP1 and Windows XP SP2

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Oh, they just work fine and dandy when I'm connected to the home ISP, and most of them do when connected to the client ISP - it's just this one that doesn't! See reply to jscher above for all the gory details...

Cheers,

Stuart

Super Moderator
    Thanks

"When the messages arrive at the other end, they look as if they come from my client account"

Do mean by this that the email address is listed in "From" column in Outlook or listed in the "Options" of the email?

Thanks

Re: Using other email accounts without asking (03)

The work-site network or ISP may be blocking or diverting SMTP traffic to thwart spamming. And your home-site ISP should not allow unauthenticated relaying from outside of its own network (this is liable to get the host black-holed and unable to deliver mail to half of the world's mailboxes). In order to send using your home-site ISP from another network, you may need to authenticate to that server.

But this still does not explain why, if the Accounts drop-down (next to the Send button) has the correct account/server selected just before you click the Send button, Outlook does anything other than what you instruct it to. My suspicions still lie with Outlook changing the account at the time the new message is created, despite what you saved with your OFT file. If you check the Accounts drop-down at various times, can you figure out when it is changing?