5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Database Errors (2000)

I have been working on a database that I save to a network drive. I also save it to a secure area on the network that I only have access to. The database was working fine when I left last night but this morning I keep getting errors (see attached) every time I try to access any command button or even try to access any form in the database. The other copy which is on a secure (only I can get to) area, works fine. Could someone cause these types of problems or am I paranoid. I got these errors once before but I just went to the backup and thought the database corrupted. But now that it has happened again, I don't think it is database corruption. Any thoughts or ideas why this would happen...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Database Errors (2000)

I think it IS database corruption. Access is extremely sensitive to network hickups. If the network connection drops for a fraction of a second while Access is writing data back into the database, the database may become corrupted. Sometimes, performing a Compact and Repair Database will solve the problems, but in many cases that doesn't help.That's why it is very important (a) to make frequent backups of the database, and ([img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] to work with a split backend/frontend design (it is highly unlikely that backend and frontend both become corrupt).
    We had similar problems about two-three years ago in the office where I work - two users frequently had these "Network connection may have been lost" messages, and although IT originally tried to blame my database design, it was eventually traced to a bad network segment.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

That's usually caused by Network problems on the LAN - either hardware or software induced. Is your network a Windows NT based domain, a simple Windows workgroup, a Novell network, and what are the charactristics of the system containing the network drive? The cause for concern here is that network errors are one of the primary causes of Access database corruption. In this case your database may well not be corrupt. You can test that by copying that version to your local hard drive and then see if it works OK.
    Wendell

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Nobody is using the database. It is just in the beginning stages. Both copies of the database are on the same network drive just one is under my personal ID. I will try your suggestions and see if it helps. Thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks

If you move a copy to your local hard-drive and it still gives you error messages, then you are probably experiencing intermittent LAN errors as Hans suggested. At that point I would get very nervous using an Access back-end, and would start thinking about SQL Server. Let us know what you find.
    Wendell

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What I did was create a new database and copy everything from the database that was having errors. Everything copied over except one form gave me errors. I deleted that form and copied in one from another database that had that form. Now the database works - I don't get those errors. Compacting and copying it to the C drive didn't work. Apparantly that one form was causing all the problems.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

That is a clear case of database corruption. There probably was a very short network outage, and this caused one form to go belly up. It's good you had another copy.