Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

TIF directory viewed from Windows Explorer (XP SP2

My XP Pro box has three user accounts, one of them an Administrator and the other two Limited. This may or may not be relevant to what follows.

If I go into Windows Explorer, Cocuments and Settings{username}Local SettingsTemporary Internet Files there are differences in what is displayed in the Left and Right-Hand panes for "ME" and for "THEM"

For ME:
    Temporary Internet Files appears to have NO subdirectories, and the columns in the right-hand pane are Name, internet Address, Type, Size, Expires, Last Modified, Last Accessed, Last Checked as if the directory was just full of cookies (it isn't, there are GIFs, JPEGs, CABs, HTML, and so on). In Properties for the TIF directory, there is only ONE tab -- General

For THEM:
    Temporary Internet Files has two main subdirectories, Content.IE5 and Content.MSO, with the first having the usual four randomly-named eight alphameric character names. The column headings are the usual "file" ones, of Name, Size, Type, Attributes, Date Modified (as customised by me). In Properties for the TIF directory, there is only ONE tab -- General.

For the life of me, I cannot change MY TIF directory to look like THEIRS. This directory seems to be the only one I can find which has the unusual "cookie" columns!

Any bright ideas?

Thanks

John

PS Here are my Folders Options...
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: TIF directory viewed from Windows Explorer (XP SP2

My guess, not based on hard knowledge:

TIF is one of the "magic" folders. Windows uses smoke and mirrors to present it to the outside world. But when logged in as YOU, only YOUR TIF is magic, the TIFs of other users are "just" folders. If you were to log in as one of THEM, your TIF would look like a standard folder, and THEIRs would be magic.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: TIF directory viewed from Windows Explorer (XP

That's entirely correct, Hans. When I log on as "someone else", their TIF folder has the "cookies columns" format!

I suspect there is nothing I can do about it...

Thanks!

John

PS Thank heaven for the Command Prompt window...
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans,
    Today I was greeted with the opposite problem than John, thought I might post my question in this thread. The issue is the same: the magic

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hello again Hans and everyone,
    I have solved my problem with the TIF folder.

As I mentioned I had found a workaround for some other problem. The reason I posted a question was to see if anyone had a specific solution. I had a vague memory of a tip how to rebuild these folders; maybe Tweak UI, but no, not that.

What I did was similar, but not exact, to the KB article:
    1. Create a temporary folder.
    2. Use IE Tools to move TIF folder to temporary folder, and it will log off.
    3. Log on; no need to delete old TIF folder (as mentioned in KB).
    4. Use IE to move TIF folder to the place you want, and it will log off.
    5. Log on; delete the temporary folder created in step 1.

The icon in Network Connections folder now shows all details in Tiles view; after I disabled connection, log off/log on, and enabled.

Sorry to bother.

Regards,
    Argus

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm glad you found a solution, thanks for sharing it here. It may well help someone else in the future.